Chimney sweeper

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
carlMichael

Chimney sweeper

Post by carlMichael »

Hi friends!

Here is a pipe that I made just fore fun out of a piece of left over Briar... call it the Chimney sweeper.
Sold it instantly to a collector in the States.

Yours

carlMichael
clickklick

Re: Chimney sweeper

Post by clickklick »

Is there a little bark left on that plateaus? The button could be a bit crisper. Congrats on the sale!
Acting like a loon in the front yard, close to the road.
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

How much did you sell it for?
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
carlMichael

Post by carlMichael »

PremalChheda wrote:How much did you sell it for?
I got $180 for it...

cM
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

carlMichael wrote:
I got $180 for it...

cM

I am really disappointed. I do not do this usually on a public forum, but I feel the need to on this one.

1. You still have bark on the plateau! - Not saleable!

2. The stem is very poorly finished.

3. There are highly visible scratches or very uneven staining in the finish.

Even if you did remove the bark and it was saleable, $75 would be on the high side of pricing.

Are you sure your finish is stable? Are you sure that your connections are stable?

This is what we call a pipe turd. I hope you go back to the drawing board and really think about getting some feedback before selling another pipe. And following the advice you receive.
Premal Chheda
clickklick

Post by clickklick »

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
clickklick

Post by clickklick »

Did you at least give the buyer the stand as well?
carlMichael

Post by carlMichael »

PremalChheda wrote:
carlMichael wrote:
I got $180 for it...

cM

I am really disappointed. I do not do this usually on a public forum, but I feel the need to on this one.

1. You still have bark on the plateau! - Not saleable!

2. The stem is very poorly finished.

3. There are highly visible scratches or very uneven staining in the finish.

Even if you did remove the bark and it was saleable, $75 would be on the high side of pricing.

Are you sure your finish is stable? Are you sure that your connections are stable?

This is what we call a pipe turd. I hope you go back to the drawing board and really think about getting some feedback before selling another pipe. And following the advice you receive.
Well... that is to be "cut by the ankles" as we say here in Sweden. I take it for what it is and a prof that it hard to give criticism out of some pictures. I can ensure you all that there is no scratches on that pipe and the steam is well polished. The staining I can agree that it isn't perfect and about the bark... I´m not much for "right and wrong" in the matter of aesthetics... that's up to the viewer and I let it stay there sense I think its beautiful... and so did the byer... he was perfectly happy about it ;-).

And... yes... the stand was included in the purchase, off course.

But I am glad fore the criticism any how and I always listen to a good advice even if I not always follow it. Just like my knifes ( www.carlmichael.info ) are one of the kind, my pipes will be so also and therefore every object will be like inventing the wheel again ;-)

Yours

carlMichael
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

Well, um, good luck.
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods

Post by andrew »

It doesn't come up often, but the bark issue is important.

Bark can hide imperfections fatal to a pipe.

We are not trying to insult you. The goal of the forum is to help carvers make better pipes (and avoid pitfalls). Unless otherwise stated we will critque new work so the carver can improve. Everything Premal said was accurate and meant to help, not "cut you off at the knees".
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

Please don't take this the wrong way, but what were you hoping to accomplish by posting this to the gallery? Get critiques? A pat on the back? You posted a piece of work that was very clearly not up to snuff, and when Premal essentially told you your pipe will probably fall apart, you claimed that it was an aesthetic decision and that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Please don't just listen to the advice you receive--put it into practice.

I congratulate you on making almost $200 on a sale, but it is the same way I would congratulate someone who finds a wallet full of cash. It is not earned, and somebody else has to lose it in order for you to profit from it. My advice? Take your money, buy a meter of ebonite and as many cheap ebauchons as you can, and keep or give away for free all the pipes you make. If one turns out especially nice, give it to the collector who bought this chimney sweeper. See where your skills are at at the end of this exercise, and get some outside feedback about when/if you should start selling pipes at that point.
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods

Post by sandahlpipe »

Bark will eventually come off the pipe and at that point you will have a pipe that looks like it is falling apart. It's important for pipe makers to think about how a pipe will look with use. Chips of bark coming off a pipe is going to make the customer feel jipped. Plateaux is fine to use, but do clean the bark first.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

Yes, I see that you have experience making knives. I can also see from the pictures you posted, that you do not have experience making pipes. From what I have seen so far, I would consider your pipes to be learning experiences, and not to be sold. Maybe some day you will make saleable nice pipes, if you really study, practice, and follow advice.

Bark is not a feature on a pipe.

Selling this pipe for $180.00 is irresponsible and unethical.
Premal Chheda
notow1

Post by notow1 »

sandahlpipe wrote:Bark will eventually come off the pipe and at that point you will have a pipe that looks like it is falling apart. It's important for pipe makers to think about how a pipe will look with use. Chips of bark coming off a pipe is going to make the customer feel jipped. Plateaux is fine to use, but do clean the bark first.
I don't think You can use the word jipped (gypped) anymore. It is politically incorrect because it implies being cheated by Gypsies. Every thing else in Your reply was politically correct, Norm.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

notow1 wrote:
sandahlpipe wrote:Bark will eventually come off the pipe and at that point you will have a pipe that looks like it is falling apart. It's important for pipe makers to think about how a pipe will look with use. Chips of bark coming off a pipe is going to make the customer feel jipped. Plateaux is fine to use, but do clean the bark first.
I don't think You can use the word jipped (gypped) anymore. It is politically incorrect because it implies being cheated by Gypsies. Every thing else in Your reply was politically correct, Norm.
Screw that! I've gotta up my game if that's the only politically incorrect thing I've said.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
carlMichael

Post by carlMichael »

OK... I see what you all write to me, and I will listen to it about the bark issue. Whit my knifes I do give a guarantee on the quality and if something brakes I fix it ore make a new one. So I do whit the pipes also of course. The advise to "give away" my pipes at the beginning is little hard to listen to.... I did that whit my knifes, but I do not know any pipe smokers ore collectors to "practice" my pipe making on.

But I say it once again.... Thanks fore taking time to evaluate my pipes from my pictures. I will post more of them not only to show of but to here your opinion about them. My writing about being "cut by the ankles" was written whit a smile and was not meant to be taken as an assault from you. But I notice the word "jipped" and think that its a little bit to strong...

Yours

carlMichael
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

carlMichael wrote: But I notice the word "jipped" and think that its a little bit to strong...

If this ^^^^^ was a joke, you are gonna fit right in!! :thumbsup:
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
notow1

Post by notow1 »

scotties22 wrote:
carlMichael wrote: But I notice the word "jipped" and think that its a little bit to strong...

If this ^^^^^ was a joke, you are gonna fit right in!! :thumbsup:
It was a joke but I'm not really good with typing and computers so I forgot the smiley face thingy's. I have met Mr. Sandahl and I hope He knows this was supposed to be humorous, Norm.
socrates

Post by socrates »

Nice!

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk