Pipe #7,Bent Apple #3

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Blakens

Pipe #7,Bent Apple #3

Post by Blakens »

So my pipes #3-7 were all gifts for my groomsmen. Unfortunately, I didn't take pictures of any of them, so I'm trying to get everyone to take pictures and send them to me. I apologize in advance for the poor picture quality.
This particular pipe was the last one I made. This was not supposed to be the finished state. I was behind schedule and working on it the night before the wedding. Just to prove he was getting a pipe, I showed it to my brother and said I would have to finish it later. He's the kind of guy who really likes imperfections and seeing the tool marks. He said he loved it and took it from me. He hasn't let me get my hands on it since.
Luckily, I had finished all the innards so it smokes just fine. Two years later he still brags about it and uses it quite a bit.
I was reluctant to post this one it's so bad, but I feel like I have to leave a record of it somewhere. I can see a ton wrong with it, but if you feel like taking the time, I welcome any critique.
"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."

"I've cut this board three times and it's still too short!"
PremalChheda

Re: Pipe #7,Bent Apple #3

Post by PremalChheda »

Why don't you tell us what you think is wrong, and maybe we can input where you do not see additional things that can be improved.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
Blakens

Re: Pipe #7,Bent Apple #3

Post by Blakens »

Great idea. Sorry I didn't do that in the first place.
I guess I'll start at the button and work my way down.
It looks like I didn't do much to actually shape the button. Sharp corners and edges and it's probably too thick.
The bend doesn't seem smooth, like the stem gets fatter toward the shank. I think I should have bent the stem and smoothed the top line of it all the way to the bowl. I used an oval stem (probably because that's what I had left from a random Ebay lot) and I think the sides could have been rounded over a bit more going towards the button.
The stem and shank junction is not great. This is something I still can't seem to get perfect. Maybe I just need more practice. The line from the stem to the shank is not straight (from the profile or from above), as mentioned earlier.
The tenon has what looks like left over epoxy in the corner. The mortise is not centered in the shank (is that important). I didn't take any time to make the tenon and shank face look nice. How can you polish the stem and shank faces without rounding over edges and ruining the flow of the junction?
The transition from the shank to bowl seems ok. The back silhouette of the bowl needs to be rounded down more. The shank is not centered in the bowl.
I think the lowest point of the pipe should be moved back, not centered under the bowl.
The bowl is not perfectly round and the shape of it seems somewhat bulbous from the profile. Too big for the shank. The bowl is not quite the same shape in the profile as from the front.
I wish I could have tried a contrast stain on this pipe. I really liked the birdseye on the side.
I feel like I should be doing something different on the top of the bowl other than perfectly flat. I've been noticing most other pipes seem have a sort of rounded top.
Also, the chips in the top of the bowl were not me (I don't think).

Thanks again for looking. Let me know if there is anything else you might see.
"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."

"I've cut this board three times and it's still too short!"