Pipe #6 Almost Done

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
ScoJo

Pipe #6 Almost Done

Post by ScoJo »

This is the pipe I was talking about in my thread in the Stem Work forum. The inlay is my first - a piece of birdseye maple. I suck at taking pictures, still. A few issues were brought to my attention once I took the pictures and looked at them. First I need to go back (if I have the patience) and resand and finish the bowl rim. I had a problem with it - the first time I went to buff it, it was pulled from my hands and slammed into the lathe bed, which put a big nick in the top. I sanded the whole rim down, but probably should have spent more time on the re-finish job. Secondly, the stem/shank fit looks a little awkward. As I mentioned in the other thread, my first stem for this cracked when I was trying to drill it out. So this was my first attempt to fit a new stem to basically a finished pipe.

Lastly, I want to coat the bowl. I have found that for these cheap ebauchons it makes the first bowl taste better - not sure why. Oh, and of course this pipe is infected with the new hobby carver virus: stainus slopinda bolus.

Thanks for looking and please feel free to tell me what works with this one and what doesn't.

-Scott
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

I can't seem to keep the wax out of the bowl (see the white in the bottom of the bowl in the shot of the top). Is that a sign of having too much on the wheel?

Oh, and another issue - there appears to be a red stain on my carpet. Durn kids!

:oops:

One last thing - for a forger of war clubs, this one came in at only 60 g. At least I am headed in the right direction...
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hey Scott,

Nice pipe. For the problem you had with the stem, the pipe and new stem turned out great. I don't see a thing wrong with that pipe. I like the thick walls of the bowl. Nice extension/inlay work, looks very good.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

I've seen some Danish pipes that are very thick in the bowl, so don't fret that.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com