1509 Devil Anse

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Massis

1509 Devil Anse

Post by Massis »

My first attempt at the overly popular devil anse shape. Colours were requested by the guy who commissioned it.
She weighs in at 31 grams, is 120mm long and 40mm high.

One thing in particular that went really well on this one was the tenon & the shank/stem transition. I think this is the first one I've made where there really is no gap at all between shank & stem, and where the tenon fits this nicely. This is probably mainly due to the new lathe which is alot more accurate than the last one.

The stem in general went rather well on this one, also the internals. Only the slot came out a bit higher than I wanted it to.
Still there's plenty to improve on, so your comments are more than welcome.

sandahlpipe

Re: 1509 Devil Anse

Post by sandahlpipe »

Overall, it's not terrible for a Devil Anse. I generally don't care for the shape much, but this one isn't bad.

The button needs a little bit of work. I can't tell if there's too much material still in the bite zone or if your button is too short. For a tapered stem, you want enough of a button so that the smoker who bites the button wont' have it fall out of his mouth.

I'm not understanding why you used two different kinds of rustication. It seems to me that you should pick one style of rustication for the whole pipe.

Keep up the good work!
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Massis

Re: 1509 Devil Anse

Post by Massis »

The double rustication was an experiment, as the stummel rustication doesn't really suit stems but the shank had some flaws.

As for the button: you're right, it's shorter than I'd like. It does clench suite well though, maybe due to how wide it is and the height of the button which is fairly pronounced? I'm still struggling with buttons and haven't found consistency in a perfect size yet...