Bing inspired "Scottie" Pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
scotties22

Bing inspired "Scottie" Pipe

Post by scotties22 »

For those of you who aren't in Chicago this weekend here is a pipe I finished this morning.

The stem in Carnelian Juma on this pipe. The blast turned out great other than the one little sandpit that blew open on the right side.

Length: 6.93"
Height: 1.79"
Width: 1.35"
Chamber: .75 x 1.61"
Weight: 34 grams

On a side note, I took these pictures at F8 and think they are some of the better ones I have taken. I do think I need more light, though.....thoughts?
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
sandahlpipe

Re: Bing inspired "Scottie" Pipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Well I will be in Chicago soon, but not yet. This is a nice piece. On the very first picture, the cloth the pipe is sitting on is blocking part of the bottom of the bowl. Try to flatten that out so the bottom line is visible all the way around the pipe.

In my opinion, the shank side of the bowl is undercut a bit too much. It appears that the curve on the front and back don't match. It's possible this is just angles.

If you want more light, let me ask first if you're using 6500K daylight bulbs. I use one above, one on either side and one from the front of my lightbox.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I think that is what I have....Chas sent them to me a while back. I have one on either side and need to add one on top and out front. The fabric is new and I am still trying to get it to lay like I want it to. I think I may glue it to the block of wood underneath so I don't have a problem going forward.

I actually undercut the back side of the bowl on purpose. I usually do on my "Scottie" pipes. The blast made it a bit too much with this one.
www.ladybriar.com
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

Carnelian Juma.....can ya say that 10 times real fast? :lol: I like it though. :wink:
rdpipes.briar.club
socrates

Post by socrates »

Beautiful pipe! Perhaps a lighter back drop. It would let the pipe stand out more but that's IMO. I used to photograph watches and used backdrops that allowed the watch to stand out. Used solid colors,no patterns and colors subdued and lighter than subject matter. Again all in my opinion.

I'm old and actually started photography when after taking photos you would process the film and spend hours manipulating the printing/enlarging from your negatives. Nowadays it's all done in minutes at the touch of buttons. Ah the good old days??? LOL!

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

I feel you did a great job on this pipe.I'm aware you undercut your Scottie pipes this way and feel it adds to the pipe, as it makes it your style. The shank and stem is very nice and the button is delicate, but solid!Thanks for showing this one. I look forward to many more from your creative hands.
P.S. I hear they are having a good time in Chicago.Nate found the hot dogs! LOL! :D
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

No, no, no.....Nate for THE Hotdogs!!!! And I am really jealous
www.ladybriar.com
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

Fantastic! I will not offer critiques, but I will say I love this line of pipes you're making.
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

I think the stain color and stem material look great together, especially with the little sliver of black. very smart.... stummel and stem may have blended together too much otherwise. I like the shape a lot, but keep wondering if I might like it more with just a touch more forward cant?
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Normally I do put a cant on all of my "Scottie" pipes. The customer wanted a Bing and didn't want it canted any more than this. This is the second one (in two weeks) I have made for him, so what he likes he gets 8)

I am working on another one now that has a bit more cant, is more slinder and a touch longer. Of the two, I think I like it a little better.
www.ladybriar.com
Charl

Post by Charl »

Nice one, Scottie! Love that left side!
I think the photos came out A-ok. The only thing I might change is the material, it is a tiny wee bit distracting imo.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

There is nothing wrong with your pics that cannot be "software" corrected. I use PhotoShop Elements.
I also use a nice piece of suede leather (Tandy) as shown in this pic. Pretty neutral and not too distracting.
Oh yeah, one other thing: nice job on the pipe. :D

socrates

Post by socrates »

oklahoma red wrote:There is nothing wrong with your pics that cannot be "software" corrected. I use PhotoShop Elements.
I also use a nice piece of suede leather (Tandy) as shown in this pic. Pretty neutral and not too distracting.

Nice photography and use of the suede for backdrop.

oklahoma red

Re: Bing inspired

Post by oklahoma red »

socrates wrote:
oklahoma red wrote:There is nothing wrong with your pics that cannot be "software" corrected. I use PhotoShop Elements.

Nice photography and use of the suede for backdrop.

Thank you! Yeah, I like the suede. I works with just about anything.