First Volcano

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
WBill

First Volcano

Post by WBill »

This is my first attempt at making a Volcano. I think it turned out OK but I will go about making the next one a little different. I learn a little more from each new pipe.

Bill

Nick

Post by Nick »

Very nice Bill. I like the asymetry in the slopes of the front and backof the bowl. The stm is sharp too. Is it hand made? The only critique I have is that the shank extention seems a hair too rounded on the underside. But this may just be a trick of the picture. Nice photography btw. The pipe seems a tad long, kind of throwing it off balance, but this may just be my preferences showing through. Did you turn it on a lathe? Or is it hand shaped? Great pipe.
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hey Bill,

Very nice pipe. Everything about it looks very clean and sharp. Nice!
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
WBill

Post by WBill »

The pipe is hand shaped, belt sander and a lot of the old sandpaper held in the hand. The only thing I used the lathe for was drilling the holes and shaping vulcanite stem, tenon.

Bill
Nick

Post by Nick »

Very impressive!
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

Bill,
Looks really nice... I like the shape and the stem brings alot to the pipe as well. What type of wood is the shank extension?

Dave
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Just waiting for the smoke !!!!! :wink:
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
WBill

Post by WBill »

The extension is made from cherrywood. I wish I could find some other material for the extensions besides wood. Nothing exotic just some nice plastic marble material, cream, white clolors. Know where I might find some ?

Thanks for the compliments on the pipe. It took me quite sometime to complete it. I made three stems before ending up with this one and put two or three different color stains on it with all the sanding in between. I just can't see how some people can make two or three pipes in a day.

Do most of you know exactly how the pipe will look, shape, stain, stem, before drilling the first hole or do you sort of play it by ear ?

Thanks
Bill
WBill

Post by WBill »

I forgot to mention that I put a black delrin ring between the shank and extension. Sort of hard to see because of the color of the stain.

Bill
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

You can get a ot of shank extension material from this place:
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com
Other than that, just keep your eyes peeled for something that might look interesting.

As for visualization, I find that I have a very good idea of what I *expect* the pipe to be before it takes shape, but I do need to be flexible. Trying to adhere to what you want a shape to be, usually ends up with an odd looking pipe, or one that is full of flaws. Sometimes what you think looks good in your third eye, looks pretty bad when realized in wood and vulcanite.

Kurt
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
marks

Post by marks »

As far as shank extension material, acrylic works well. I am going to use a piece of the ivory colored acrylic rod I've used to make stems for a shank extension on a pipe I am currently working on. Should turn out nice. You can get acrylic in lots of different colors. Be sure to get cast acrylic, as it machines well. Only drawback from this is you may have to order more than you want to work with (unless you use acrylic for your stems).

You may also find some suitable materials at pen making suppliers. This often comes in different colors with swirly patterns and such. And, you should be able to order smaller quantities than acrylic.

Also, knife making suppliers may have something suitable as well (I know they will have stuff suitable for making bands on stems). I was with Paul Tatum at a custom knife makers show once, and you should see all the stuff he bought to use on his pipes.
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

Hey, I decided to add to this thread since the title was applicable.

This weekend I made my 5th pipe - a personal best for me in terms of speed. Briar block to finished (well, nearly finished) pipe in one weekend. I still have to work on a few spots, and I can't decide whether I want to take it back to sandpaper which will necessitate refinishing, or whether I want to just try hitting it with a buffing wheel and some wax to try to get rid of the few marks that are left on it. I never got the opportunity to coat the bowl, either, or finish buffing the stem.

Anyway, here are some shots of my first try at a pseudo-volcano:

There are a couple of pretty big pits (one in the bottom and one in the shank near the stem). But unlike the first try at pipe #5, there was nothing that "killed" it. The first try had about 3-4 cracks in the wood, one of which went all the way through from the outside wall of the shank to the draft hole.
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

It's a good looking pipe. I think it would be a great looking pipe if you took it down again with sandpaper. Then sanded in rounds up to at least 800 grit (220, 320, 400, 600, 800). Then did brown tripoli, white diamond, and wax. I think it would be a killer pipe then IMHO.. :wink:
Craig

Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
WBill

Post by WBill »

Craig, you know I was thinking the same thing.

I posted a picture of this pipe on Pipes.Org, wasn't trying to sell it just showing my work, and someone asked if I would sell it to them. I haven't replied to his question yet but if I do sell it I will refinish it.

How much would you ask for it, never sold one before.

Bill
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Bill

You know, think about what you've got into it in terms of materials--not the equipment you purchased etc. . . every hobby has some start up costs. I've seen barrel pipes being offered at local pipe shops going for $30 - $40 and there no where near as nice as your volcano. Perhaps ask $35. He's getting a nice pipe for $35 and you're getting some fun money to buy some more briar.

Craig
Craig

Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com