We've been making video's about pipemaking.

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
bregolad

We've been making video's about pipemaking.

Post by bregolad »

Hey all,
I haven't really been active on the forum in a while (been lurking though).

I don't know if any of you have seen our weekly videos, but they might be of interest to you.

I'd love to hear any thoughts you might have about them (criticism included).

Cheers, Jared
J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com
N.Burnsworth

Re: We've been making video's about pipemaking.

Post by N.Burnsworth »

Hi Jared, I have to say I enjoy and look forward to your videos every Tuesday. I like the way you guys start it off socializing with the viewers by sharing what you're smoking, what pipe, and the complimentary beverage, and the quick review of them. The pipe making portion is informative and gives an inside view of your process. That portion is IMO too short, but is most likely satisfying for most that follow your videos. That in itself could be what keeps people coming back for more. Keep up the good work, and thanks for sharing your skills with everyone.
Nicholas Burnsworth
Boulder & Briar
Oakbear

Post by Oakbear »

Hey Jared, i've been watching your videos every week since i found them around episode 3. (Thanks!)

I've really enjoyed them, especially the history and styling, and the progression to showing more techniques.

By way of feedback, i'd like more of that!
I understand the need to keep things short, but the information given is often pretty brief, albeit very interesting. It also feels like the episodes end pretty suddenly sometimes, when i'm sure you'd both have more to say on the topic. If so, don't be afraid to say it! I'd happily watch a 30 minute video on each of the subjects you have covered recently. Maybe my bias as a hobby maker is part of that, but pipers generally seem to love to learn more.
You have created a great platform, so it'd be nice to see some more stuff to educate people about what makes a high end pipe.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I agree. I watched the first 9 videos last night. Very good production and subject matter. I would say they were too short in general. It feels like you do the introductions, talk about your tobacco and beverage pairings, and then briefly touch a pipe topic and its over. I would love to see more discussion and procedure demos. I applaud you guys for doing this. Im too self concious to make videos and post them for the world to see. I just could not do it. Im glad there are guys out there that are willing and able to do what I cannot, with quality and integrity. Thank you!
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

I'll be honest, I've tried watching them before but got weeded out in the first 3 minutes. :P

That being said, I watched the entirety of this one and I disagree with folks who say they're too short. Under ten minutes is a long period of time to hold an audience's attention and a lot of material to come up with for a weekly episodic production. If people want them to be longer, then you're successfully holding their attention for the full ten minutes and leaving them wanting the next episode. That's where you want to be.

If every video is in the same spirit as this one, I think you guys are doing a really great job. You keep it personal, warm, and informative in a very well produced format. I like it.

You could stand to make the first three minutes less boring, but, in a way, it's nice. If every episode really starts that way, it reminds me of sitting down with a group of strangers with my pipe and a drink for the first time and settling into the conversation in those first awkward moments where no one really knows what to say except for what they're doing at that very moment.

Really, I think this video is really well conceived and executed.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

I have watched most of them, the enthusiasm and love for pipes comes across well. You and your partner are doing a great job. Keep going and good luck!!! John. :rockon:
Joe Hinkle Pipes

I apologize, I only made it through the first few videos that range from 4:30 to 7 minutes. Some of the newer videos run in the 9 to 12 range. Ill check the remainder out after work.
bregolad

Post by bregolad »

Thanks for the feedback everybody! I really appreciate it. It seems like we'll just keep on keeping on, since everybody likes them the way they are. We won't be making them any longer, since they would definitely start to drag. And as David said, it's better to keep people interested week to week than to give everything away in one boring, long video.

These videos aren't really meant to be instructional, they're really aimed at the "new collector" crowd, who seem to like pipes, but have no idea how they're made. Or who Sixten was. Etc.

Thanks again guys!
J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

bregolad wrote:Thanks for the feedback everybody! I really appreciate it. It seems like we'll just keep on keeping on, since everybody likes them the way they are. We won't be making them any longer, since they would definitely start to drag. And as David said, it's better to keep people interested week to week than to give everything away in one boring, long video.

These videos aren't really meant to be instructional, they're really aimed at the "new collector" crowd, who seem to like pipes, but have no idea how they're made. Or who Sixten was. Etc.

Thanks again guys!
This last video sucked ass. You had all these cool shots of stem-work which made it seem somehow romantic and graceful- I decided to do some stem work because it just seemed so fun in my mind. It wasn't. I'm annoyed.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:
This last video sucked ass. You had all these cool shots of stem-work which made it seem somehow romantic and graceful- I decided to do some stem work because it just seemed so fun in my mind. It wasn't. I'm annoyed.
Along the same line, I watched several of them and couldn't stand the irrational, mouth-frothing judgmental attitude, overall hostility, and near-psychotic physical aggression that permeated everything. I thought pipe smoking and making was supposed to be relaxing. Now I don't think I'll be able to sleep for a week for the nightmares and flashbacks.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

No wonder people looking in from the outside get a bad impression of us.
Maybe its the subtle ribbing? Nahhh... :lol:
Oakbear

Post by Oakbear »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:
I actually did this. The inspiration actually helped me get a cool stem going, where i had a bit of a block before, although I was reminded fairly quickly just how much fun stem making isn't.

The video is clearly false advertising. I want my money back.
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

You guys are drinking on the Job!
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
bondarev

Post by bondarev »

PremalChheda wrote:You guys are drinking on the Job!
Who doesn't? :lol:
sig

Post by sig »

This is everything I have been looking for! I love that you share your choice in tobacco and in beer! Watching the progress of the pipes is super cool and very helpful; I wish there was more of it. It's absolutely inspiring, keep up the good work!