A hobbyist says hello

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
billiard

A hobbyist says hello

Post by billiard »

Hi all,

I don’t post, or lurk, online very much. I make up for it by talking even less in the real world.

I am a hobbyist, I live in Puyallup, WA. I make a pipe when I have time: after a full time job, wife and 3 kids, and everything that comes with a busy life. I’ve been making pipes for about 5 or 6 years, including the first 2 years I just made custom corn cobs. I really don’t know how long I’ve been doing it, I didn’t think it was important enough to write down the date I started at the time. I will probably make about 30 pipes this year. Truly a hobby for me, e.g. some guys go fishing, I make pipes.

I do no marketing. I have my website, and that’s it. I have a facebook account and page but seldom use them other than to post a pipe when I remember. There’s a couple email distribution lists I am on at work, one for woodworking, and one for pipes and cigars, both have great folks so that’s as much social interaction as I can handle.

Here are a random few of my recent pipes so you can see where I am at, as well as the prices I sold them for, pricing too high seems to upset folks on here so I thought I’d include mine, if I am really off let me know.

$250

a commission

me just having fun and trying stuff. $150 to a friend I work with.

Not many people know of me and that’s fine with me as I don’t make many pipes… so not many people need to know me for me to sell the few I make.

I guess that’s it, I’m going to go back to wherever the hey I came from and I’ll probably say hello again in a few months or so, maybe next year, I really have little to say.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, cheers from Puget Sound,
Bill Boyle
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Re: A hobbyist says hello

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

Good to see you back Bill! Keep up the good work.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I think those prices are reasonable for what you're making. Your lines aren't wobbly and the shaping is decent from the angles you showed.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Nate

Post by Nate »

Solomon_pipes wrote:Good to see you back Bill! Keep up the good work.
Agreed!
billiard

Post by billiard »

Thanks guys!