French Toast Tamper

We all make stuff other than pipes, so here's a place where "anything goes" as far as showing off some of your projects and other hobbies.
kamkiel

French Toast Tamper

Post by kamkiel »

I made this tamper today because I lost all of mine. I once asked a french friend what they call french toast. She told me "left over bread." So seeing as I made this with left over stuff I'll call it my french toast tamper.

Sorry for the massive pictures,
Kiel
Attachments
IMG_20150301_095850_1425206547220.jpg
(96.44 KiB) Downloaded 514 times
IMG_20150301_095913_1425206146490.jpg
(192.29 KiB) Downloaded 514 times
Massis

Re: French Toast Tamper

Post by Massis »

I believe it's actually called "pain perdu" which means "lost bread". In dutch we also call it "verloren brood" which literally means lost bread. Obvious, as you make it out of bread that was "lost" for normal consumption but can be recuperated for french toast :-)

Funky tamper though!
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

We call it Eggy bread, we get straight to the point over here!
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

Eggy bread doesn't sound good:) Maybe I can change the name of it to verloren brood tamper.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Love French toast, and love this tamper! Good job! :thumbsup:
Massis

Post by Massis »

kamkiel wrote:Eggy bread doesn't sound good:) Maybe I can change the name of it to verloren brood tamper.
If you prefer something victorious, in some regions of Belgium/The Netherlands it's also called "gewonnen brood" which means "won bread" :lol:
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

Massis wrote:
kamkiel wrote:Eggy bread doesn't sound good:) Maybe I can change the name of it to verloren brood tamper.
If you prefer something victorious, in some regions of Belgium/The Netherlands it's also called "gewonnen brood" which means "won bread" :lol:
Assuming that a person is not well versed in a variety of European food vocabulary, I think the names all look great! I would be pretty cool when I tell that person that this is my (insert: European language+breakfast food) tamper. The Europeans just might think I am a weirdo.

Do the Belgiums call it won bread because they stole it from a Frenchmens house?
Massis

Post by Massis »

Lol no, it's just a matter of point of view. Some consider the bread lost (because it's old) and then make french toast => "verloren brood". The others are optimists who think they just reclaimed it/saved it from the trash and thus it's "won" :-)
Charl

Post by Charl »

Thus "herwin" in Afrikaans! You reclaimed it.