This forum is a scary place

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Alden

Re: This forum is a scary place

Post by Alden »

e Markle wrote: As the official delegate of West Coast Snobbery
This comment put in mind a song by Terry Allen, a west Texas madman. He's spent 40 years making pure art, that is, making purely what he is driven to make, and not giving a damn for sales or reviews. He is a musician with 12 original albums as well as sculptor painter artist poet etc. Far too country for widespread consumption, and far too weird for country, he's spent his lifetime doing it anyway.
He wrote this song called "Truckload of Art".
It is the "true" story of a bunch of New York artists who decide to show the snotty surfer upstarts in California a thing or two about real art.
So they bought a Peterbilt and filled it "with the most Significant Piles, and Influential Heaps of artwork ever to be assembled in modern times, and sent it west to Chide, Cajole, Humble and Humiliate" their West Coast ego counterparts.
Besides being a kind of passive aggressive vent against the art "scene" I think the point of the whole song is this one liner in the middle of it. The truck runs off the road, all the precious avant-garde art goes up in flames. The smoke can be seen from miles away, "but nobody knows what it means".
Ha.
Maybe we should start a "Pipe Ark" to chide cajole humble and humiliate our poker making counterparts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=680qgFgNfX8

Oakbear

Post by Oakbear »

Premal made a comment on the Steve Jobs thread about having a mentor he was scared of, but respected and learned to love for that advice and honesty.
That's kind of how i see the forum.

I say keep it scary, as long as it's constructive.

If those make shit pipes cry and leave, that's up to them.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Oakbear wrote:
I say keep it scary, as long as it's constructive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMzd40i8TfA
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.