1501 - BHorn

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
T. Suominen

1501 - BHorn

Post by T. Suominen »

Hi all!

Been a while again...
Here's something to kickstart the year, a pretty standard horn although it could be called a paneled one since the 'flats' are so wide?
Still MUCH to be done, for example the stem lines have some abruptness in them (the stummel-stem junction), but all and all i'm quite happy with this one.
So your job now is to make me not happy at all :). I've been so close to this one, i think i'm not seeing it correctly anymore...

So,
1501 - BHorn;

Thanks all in advance!
When you abstain from shouting, you embrace hearing.

http://tspipes.kuvat.fi
JMG

Re: 1501 - BHorn

Post by JMG »

This horn is slightly heftier than I care for, but that is preference. This is a gorgeous pipe.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
T. Suominen

Post by T. Suominen »

JMG wrote:This horn is slightly heftier than I care for, but that is preference. This is a gorgeous pipe.
Thanks!
It is quite robust for sure, maybe the next one will have a bit more feminine appearance.
It's a water buffalo horn :).

andrew

Post by andrew »

In the first and fifth photos you are showing a bit of a bulge in the top line right near the stem/shank junction. These are hard to avoid with this shape, but it's important.

Overall this is appears quite nice. It's a little too compact. I would stretch the next one out. The finish looks good. The edges don't look burned by the wheel and the stem appears good.
Silverfox

Post by Silverfox »

Bloody hell, what an amazing piece of work!!! Wow!!!
baiguai

Post by baiguai »

Absolutely killer horn!
T. Suominen

Post by T. Suominen »

baiguai wrote:Absolutely killer horn!
Silverfox wrote:Bloody hell, what an amazing piece of work!!! Wow!!!
Thanks guys!
andrew wrote:In the first and fifth photos you are showing a bit of a bulge in the top line right near the stem/shank junction. These are hard to avoid with this shape, but it's important.

Overall this is appears quite nice. It's a little too compact. I would stretch the next one out. The finish looks good. The edges don't look burned by the wheel and the stem appears good.
Thanks.

You are absolutely right, that was one problem i was referring to, there is another very minor problem in the underside of the stem, in the mid section.
This is my current absolute favourite shape, the shape consists mainly out of two lines, the top line and the bottom line, that have to be perfect (ok, that applies to very many shapes...). Every minor imperfection shows like a flashlight in the dark.

I will try that stretching with the next one.

Charl

Post by Charl »

I think you're shaping and finish is topclass on this one. Except for that bit of waviness that was mentioned.
For me the stem could be a bit longer. It might help with the "compact"-ness as well, stretching it out a bit.
T. Suominen

Post by T. Suominen »

Charl wrote:I think you're shaping and finish is topclass on this one. Except for that bit of waviness that was mentioned.
For me the stem could be a bit longer. It might help with the "compact"-ness as well, stretching it out a bit.
Thank you very much Charl.

Good points, i'll keep 'em in mind.

socrates

Post by socrates »

SWEET! I am a lover of the horn shape and find your pipe very attractive. Nice work!

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk