Blasted Volcano...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Re: Blasted Volcano...

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

JMG wrote:
Thomas Tkach wrote:Yeah, I didn't mean to knock your pipe at all. It's really nicely done. I'd love to see you do another like that.
What an butthole.
Yeah, his legs arent too bad either.
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Excellent job here! Volcanoes are a tricky beast to tackle!

I do all my shaping with them on the 36 grit disk and the french disk. It just takes some practice. As far as shape critique goes, I agree that the cylindrical shank might not be the best choice. It would work better if the bottom panel was flat, and the round shank transitioned more cleanly. Nate has done this a few times with good results. Also, are you going for a concave, or a convex curve on the back side of the bowl? With volcanoes, it is helpful to pick a direction and emphasize it. In most instances, I'm a fan of a convex back line. I appreciate the forward motion it lends.

Another thought, )if you were intending the back line to be convex) is to have the sides of the pipe (as seen from the front and back view) near straight, not nearly as concave. It would tie this particular pipe together a lot better I think.

Of course, I could go on about volcanoes for hours, but these are a couple of my thoughts.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
socrates

Post by socrates »

A beautiful pipe! Sorry you don't like volcanoes but I sure do. Yours is something I would be proud to own. Great work!

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk