Pipe Bags?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
taharris

Pipe Bags?

Post by taharris »

My wife is getting tired of making pipe bags for me all the time and told me to look for another source. :banghead:

Where do you guys get your pipe bags and how much do you pay for them?

I found these at ULine, but I don't know about the quality. The price is right, though.

http://www.uline.com/Product/ProductDet ... er=S-12427

Anyone ever tried these?

Thanks,

Todd
N.Burnsworth

Re: Pipe Bags?

Post by N.Burnsworth »

Neil @ Smokin Holsters.
www.smokinholsters.com
Nicholas Burnsworth
Boulder & Briar
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Give Bob at Whitewood Leather a call. He sells to us at a discount and is great to do business with.

http://whitewoodleather.com/pipeproducts/pbags.html
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Todd, Those are very similar to the ones I have been using lately. I got mine off of Amazon but these look better and priced a little less. The quality of the ones I bought are just fine. One thing I hear consistently from many pipe collectors is that the pipe socks are useless. Very few actually use them to store their pipes in as far as I can tell. I was making my own from real velvet and they were pricey. I switched to the cheaper ones and I haven't had one complaint. I say go for it. (And btw, thanks for the source for cheaper ones. :))
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

wdteipen wrote:One thing I hear consistently from many pipe collectors is that the pipe socks are useless. Very few actually use them to store their pipes in as far as I can tell.
I'd guess this is true at a fair number of collectors, but I know some that keep all their pipes in the original sock for storage.

While I don't think a sock is a make or break deal for a sale, I do think it is one of those "details matter" things that make a customer feel like he got a first rate product. I don't know if makes sense to put a $150 pipe in a $10 leather sock, but I'm really confident it doesn't make sense to put a $500+ pipe in $0.50 velvet. So my advice is to ask yourself, "How do I want my brand/work perceived?"
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

I collect and smoke quite a few pipes and my personal feeling about pipe socks is it's nice to have them shipped in them
for protection, other then that they all get stowed along with the boxes when it comes with one. I don't ever use them
because I feel it'll just hinder it from drying out properly. If I happen to go on a trip (once every Blue Moon) I put the pipes I'm
taking in (CLEAN) tube socks and fold them as if there were two together. Cheap, easy, and I don't have to try and find the original
pipe sock I stowed away some where that it came with. Besides if I should ever sell the pipe it'll come with a nice new pipe sock that way.
Quality of the pipe sock really doesn't matter too much, fabric is fine leather is nice but, not needed, just anything better then a paper bag IMHO. Just my 2 cents :-D
rdpipes.briar.club
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

For me, most of my sales are online where the first impression is when they open the box. I want that presentation to be the best it can be. When I travel, I take the pipes in the pipe bag I got from Walt because they are very protective and look nice. I've been told by a few collectors that the presentation in a bag makes a difference whether they buy another one or not.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
taharris

Post by taharris »

Good advice from all.

Thank you for your comments.

I eventually decided to go with these pipe socks:

http://www.aajewelry.com/32-80702.html

Wayne, I'll let you know how they look.

Todd
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Tyler wrote:While I don't think a sock is a make or break deal for a sale, I do think it is one of those "details matter" things that make a customer feel like he got a first rate product. I don't know if makes sense to put a $150 pipe in a $10 leather sock, but I'm really confident it doesn't make sense to put a $500+ pipe in $0.50 velvet. So my advice is to ask yourself, "How do I want my brand/work perceived?"
This is sound advice, especially concerning image, but he water gets murky is the $150-$350 range. I personally haven't found a pouch that seems to fit the bill. The leather ones are definitely nice, but there doesn't seem to be many options for those of us who want something between them and the ultra cheep bags unless we make our own.