Billiard - Pipe #6

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
RiverWader

Billiard - Pipe #6

Post by RiverWader »

Below are photos of my latest. Your comments are all welcome and valued.

Thanks,
Pat

ronps

Re: Billiard - Pipe #6

Post by ronps »

I'm not sure it's a billiard. The shape and proportions are different.

All the same, nice work. I like what you did with that piece of acrylic, though it may be a bit stout.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I think it's still got a billiard in there. On a tapered stem, make the taper straight from button to shank. Yours is too chubby at the end of the shank.

The bowl/shank junction needs a bit more definition to it.

And there is just a little too much chin on the bowl.

Fix those things and you'll have a really sharp looking billiard.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

I still lack in the art of proper critique, and I am still trying to make a proper billiard. Something that might really help your next one is to spend more time where the shank meets the bowl. From the bottom view the connoection looks kinda chunky. Try to get it more defined by making the bowl and shank appear are two seperate pieces. This will give your pipe some more definition.

Your stem should be straighter (a little wobbly) and have an even taper on the top and bottom. It should aslo start to taper right after the shank. I am still working at making my stems better, but at pipe number 6, your stem work is way better than mine was.

I say find a picture of a standard billiard and keep it close reach while making yours. Really try to mimic it, and most importantly slow down and take more time defining your pipes.

This post is also an invite for people who have a better understanding to come and critique this umm.....critique. I dont want to steer Mr. wader in the wrong direction.

Kiel
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

Sandahl probably said it better than I just did! :D
RiverWader

Post by RiverWader »

Thanks for the feedback. I actually masked off part of the stem so I didn't start the taper too soon. Sometimes I even amaze myself by my lack of observation.

Thanks again.

-Pat