LED lights

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
notow1

LED lights

Post by notow1 »

Hello Everyone, now that the prices are dropping on LED lights I was thinking of changing the lamps in My shop. I have six recessed cans and thought 100w daylight Led bulbs would give Me much better light. Has Anyone done this and is there a great improvement? Thanks for any input, Norm.
RiverWader

Re: LED lights

Post by RiverWader »

I've been thinking the same thing and have had LED fixtures installed in other areas of the house. The fixtures I've installed are complete with LEDs permanently installed - so, if they ever burnout, I need to replace the fixture. I'm not sure of LED replacement bulbs for existing fixtures. To me, it's a brighter, whiter light. In my basement workshop, I currently have fluorescent lights. The flickering and constant turning to get all tubes working is frustrating at best. Can't believe it wouldn't be an improvement.

-Pat
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

I still have fluorescent lamps in the overhead but I've replaced all of my machine lamps and bench task lighting with 100 watt LEDs. You can get away with putting high wattage LEDs in low wattage fixtures since they produce less heat than the fixtures were originally rated for with incandescents. Expensive but well worth it. They should outlive me. Yeah I know George, I have one foot in the grave already.
Joe T

Post by Joe T »

My house and shop had all fluorescent lights when I bought the place and I've been converting to LED a bit at a time and I love it. Much better lighting, lower power bills and no flickering.
Joe Thieman
Nate

Post by Nate »

Yeah, you can get nice lumen output on LED lights. The ones I use are from Home Depot and they have something like 1800 lumens at a 4000K output. Nice and bright.
LittleBill

Post by LittleBill »

I have been changing over to LED lights in the shop. The one thing that sort of bothers me is I have tried two different brands of 100w bulbs over the lathe, and they behave like fluorescent bulbs. They give good light, but the lathe can have the appearance of running slower, faster, or even backwards, and in some cases, sitting still while running because of strobe effect. I don't see the effect with lower wattage bulbs, but that may be my eyesight. Other than that, I love them.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Keep in mind that LED bulbs are generally more heat sensitive than incandescent ot florescent bulbs. Inadequate or improper cooling kills them very quickly. If they are not installed in the correct orientation you won't get a fraction of the use that you potentially could. Check the package to make sure it is meant to be installed the way you need it to be.