First Bamboo Attempt...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
JMG

First Bamboo Attempt...

Post by JMG »

Going to post the good and the, well, awful. I am aware of a lot of my main mistakes, but would love any extra critiques as bamboo work is very new to me. The pipe isn't totally finished.

Tried my first real attempt at a bamboo shank. I'm going to be optimistic and instead of calling this a fail just say that I learned a lot of what not to do next time. The stummel is from a previous attempt to make a Canadian (snapped the shank off while making it.) Had to take a lot of meat off of the bowl in order to make enough shank to attach the bamboo to. While shaping, and after attaching the bamboo I nicked the bamboo pretty bad...a few times. So, decide to blast the whole dern thing...bamboo and all. Like a dummy, I didn't really read up on how to face bamboo properly (and have since done so) and it's all manner of crooked. The stem is not anywhere close to finished, but I decided to smoke it anyway since it's merely a shop pipe. That at least is one great thing about it...smoked great. And the pipe is crazy light. Feel confident it is under 20 grams. Oh, and that big divot in the rim, that's not the plateau top...it's just a giant divot where I let the pipe get slung from my hands, :facepalm:

Much learned for the next time around...

"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
i.keenum

Re: First Bamboo Attempt...

Post by i.keenum »

Been wanting to try bamboo but it has always looked really intimidating. What you use to bind the SS tube into the bamboo?
Charl

Post by Charl »

:D Careful! Bamboo can get addictive very quickly, but she is a fickle boss!
JMG

Post by JMG »

i.keenum wrote:Been wanting to try bamboo but it has always looked really intimidating. What you use to bind the SS tube into the bamboo?
Just the same type of 5-minute epoxy that I would use for other pipe applications.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad