How does Maigurs do it?

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Ocelot55

How does Maigurs do it?

Post by Ocelot55 »

I'm assuming the black band separating the accent burl from the briar is ebonite. How does Maigurs get such a good fit on a curved surface like that? Any trick or is it all painstaking hand sanding?
Attachments
7585525_orig.jpg
7585525_orig.jpg (71.13 KiB) Viewed 3213 times
sandahlpipe

Re: How does Maigurs do it?

Post by sandahlpipe »

I asked him that exact question at the show. He said something along the lines of a milling machine to cut the radius. I'm sure it could be done with hand sanding, but I don't think that's what he did.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

I've done it with files followed by scrapers, but it took quite a while. No carver would elect to do it that way. It would add 50% or more to the time required to make a pipe, and have little return.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Several ways you could do it assuming you have a milling machine or metal lathe. Fastest would be a matching pair of router cutters.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

caskwith wrote:Several ways you could do it assuming you have a milling machine or metal lathe. Fastest would be a matching pair of router cutters.
The first thing I thought of was some sort of router as well. I have no clue what that set up wold look like though.
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Also, making a cone shaped facing cut can achieve a similar result- you just play with the axis you're cutting it on- it works best in a 2jaw chuck.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:Also, making a cone shaped facing cut can achieve a similar result- you just play with the axis you're cutting it on- it works best in a 2jaw chuck.
Granted. But, inquiring minds want to know: how do you make the mirror image concave cut that perfectly fits the convex cut you just made on the lathe? Unless of course your intent was solely to put a contoured surface on the end of the shank without making a mating piece.
This entire exercise is very simple to achieve but unfortunately is not available to probably 99.9% of pipe makers: CNC mill with a ball nose cutter. This process can be utilized to make all sorts of fancy interlocking joints. My bet is that this is how Maigurs did what he did.
Matching router bits could work but how does one hold the blocks while utilizing the router bits? Those things have to be spun at some serious rpm to be effective. Takes you back to at least a manual milling machine. Oh yeah, you paid how much for that matching set of custom router bits?? Or, it took you how many hours to grind that perfectly matching set of cutters on your bench grinder??
NC is the only way to fly in my bookIF the equipment is available without having to pay a machine shop a small fortune to do it for you.
There is a lot of value-added because of the uniqueness of the finished product and the fact it was achieved without hours and hours of laborious hand work.
Now, if anyone has a practical alternative to achieving a contoured joint, we are all ears.
Chas.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

The "machine-made pipes are cheap, horrible things!!" contingent ought to be having fun about now. :lol:

ALL pipes are made with tools. Bo, Lars, Sixten, Teddy, etc. all used tools. It was the hands CONTROLLING the tools that made the magic. Art.

Machines? Why, that's Dr. Grabow territory. Yello-Bole. Mass produced drugstore tobacco-access devices. Without question not art.

So... someone with Bo Nordh's eye for pipe design and Bill Gates' programming skill on a CNC machine would create what, exactly?
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

So... someone with Bo Nordh's eye for pipe design and Bill Gates' programming skill on a CNC machine would create what, exactly?
Uh, a damn good looking pipe in a fraction of the time? (but it has no SOUL!!!!)
Oh George, you are such a trouble maker. :lol:
Charl

Post by Charl »

How about heating the ebonite, then molding and clamping?
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

how about cutting two steel pipes in half .. OD to ID match and then glue sandpaper on the newly created ID and OD surface..

simplicity does work you know

james
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

I don't know James, I don't think you would find a tight enough tolerance in the pipes? I have a lot of scrap copper pipe I might try it

Sent from my banana phone.
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

And the pipe in pics doesn't look to follow a circular curve.

Sent from my banana phone.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I think you could get away with doing it with some sort of hand held sanding jig. Probably a pipe wouldn't work best, though. You'd want to make a mold and negative mold of the surface and sand it that way. Either way, my hat is off to Maigurs. The fact that so many different suggestions are made here in this thread attests to the difficulty of pulling off this feat. And I can also safely say that this pipe is no less mystifying in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

I looked at his web site and he most assuredly has a mill tho it does not appear to be a CNC. It does have a Grizzly 3 axis digital readout.
The man is a very talented craftsman and model maker so the ability to pull off the compound curve inlay does not surprise me.
Chas.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

oklahoma red wrote:I looked at his web site and he most assuredly has a mill tho it does not appear to be a CNC. It does have a Grizzly 3 axis digital readout.
There you go. Case closed.

Maigurs' pipes are machine made, and therefore---obviously---crap.

Unless there's a soft flute playing in the background, the carver is wearing buckskins & moccasins from animals he killed with his bare hands (no firearms or bows---those are machines), his pipes are drilled with bits that are flint chips embedded in the end of a reed and shaped with a boar tusk, his fuckin' pipes are CRAP.

I thought this issue was settled long ago.

No collector worth his ass wants a goddam factory pipe. They suck. Only HANDMADE pipes are good.

I know that's true because 90% of you guys plaster the word all over your websites. Almost as often as the word "artisan."
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I did make a couple of pipes 100% by hand, but they looked like crap and I decided tools were the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

I gnawed my first pipe with my teeth. That's why I'm on a liquid diet for the rest of my life.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

George, I will be over this afternoon with Heath's truck to take all your devil tools off your hands. We all know you specialize in HAND MADE stems and therefore use NO machinery at all in the course of your work. :lol: :takethat:
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

oklahoma red wrote:I gnawed my first pipe with my teeth.
How, THAT'S what I'm talkin' about.

Instead of "hand made," what we ought to be aspiring to is mouth made.

Get as far away from machine-made crap as possible. It's the only way to be a TRUE artist.

I bet that pipe brought a cool $250K on ebay, too, didn't it, Red? Collectors know their stuff, and recognize what matters and what doesn't straight away. There's no foolin' 'em when it comes to pipe pricing, and the method used to create it is the most important of all.

btw --- did you have flute music playing in the background while you chewed?