leaving bark on briar.

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Connlaus

leaving bark on briar.

Post by Connlaus »

Hey guys.
I have a few blocks of plateaux that have some very deep bark pits. I removed most of the bark and sanded down most of the plateaux. I would like to leave some of the bark in the deep pits for color and a rustic look but wasn't sure if that would eventually fall off and leave an unevenly colored surface. Any advice would be appreciated, Kevin.
Kevin Nicholas Roe
http://www.knrfreehand.com
Alden

Re: leaving bark on briar.

Post by Alden »

I don't think it's a good idea to leave bark on it. It will stain differently and likely come off as you suspected.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

It won't stay on. It may seem stuck now but over time it will loosen and fall off and then you'll have a bare patch. Unless you put a thick layer of shellac or lacquer over the thing which is a bad idea.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Connlaus

Post by Connlaus »

Thanks for the advice guys. Pictures will be coming as soon its done.
Kevin Nicholas Roe
http://www.knrfreehand.com
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Use a wire brush on a buffing wheel to remove the loose bark but to leave the bark foundation. Stain it black and use some shellac on it. It will be beautiful.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

LexKY_Pipe wrote:Use a wire brush on a buffing wheel to remove the loose bark but to leave the bark foundation.
Not recommended. Wire brushes will cut little channels between the nodes/hard spots. The bristles keep falling into the same ruts, like water does on land, and follow them. Looks bad.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
N.Burnsworth

Post by N.Burnsworth »

Use a hand held wire brush with stiff bristles. Give her hell and then clean off anything you leave behind with a pick, or if you have a thin metal flex rule, you can use the corner of it to get under the bark and pick it off. Then stain it black, hit it with a thin coat of shellac if that's you're thing or just wax like you normally would and if there is any residual wax, a hair dryer works for me.
Nicholas Burnsworth
Boulder & Briar
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Or you could blast it off.

Rad
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Sandblasting is by far the best way to clean briar, though I do use a wire brush to get the worst of it off first otherwise the large chunks can clog up my gun. If you don't have access to blaster then careful use of a wirebrush and picks will be fine.