biffing with bamboo

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
kamkiel

biffing with bamboo

Post by kamkiel »

I tried to experiment with some bamboo on some pieces of briar that I had previously ruined (not hard in my case). The bottom of the pipe I cracked the bamboo on the briar and stem side. I know I should be using like a 6mm steel tubing, but I have been a bit slow (lazy?) on getting around to buy some. I used 8mm delrin and I am pretty sure it is just too big. Other than that, I was hoping some of you more experienced gents ( and scottie) might be able to point me in the right direction.

1st - When I am sanding this down to make a smooth transition I found that I also sanded part of the bamboo away. I just am assuming that I was rushing a bit and not being careful, but I saw in an earlier post that Mr. Weaver doesn't put a ring between bamboo and briar and I wanted to know what is a good method for making that smooth transition without damaging or scratching the bamboo.

2nd - While buffing the transition area it took off more of the stain around the shank. How do you get a nice even buff and color when the briar takes on the wrinkly shape of the bamboo?

I hope these seem like legitimate questions and I am not wasting anybody's time... :oops:

Here are some pictures of my experiment:
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (9.74 KiB) Viewed 2083 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (23.67 KiB) Viewed 2083 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (20.15 KiB) Viewed 2083 times
kamkiel

Re: biffing with bamboo

Post by kamkiel »

and this one
Attachments
4.jpg
4.jpg (7.84 KiB) Viewed 2081 times
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

Sorry guys, I think I was a little to anxious to get this posted. I have searched some of the older threads and I am pretty sure I found my answer.
andrew

Post by andrew »

You don't have to put a spacer between the bamboo and stummel. It's just harder not to. Takes more skill to go without the spacer :).

andrew
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

Thanks! I will try that on the next one. I often find myself getting quite anxious when a pipe is starting to take shape and that is where I am making most of my mistakes. The pipes you have in your gallery have become a bit of a motivation for me. Appreciate your post!