first blast

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
wisemanpipes

Re: first blast

Post by wisemanpipes »

caskwith wrote:
wisemanpipes wrote:
caskwith wrote:Northern Briars don't blast as far as I know, at least he wasn't last time I spoke to Ian. Don't know about Dunhill and Ashton, never really thought that much of their blasts, I think you Yankees do it way better!

I was just curious about what tips Michael Parks had given you, he always seems to manage super deep craggy blasts, I was hoping there was some magic secret like dipping it in maple syrup or something :P
I ment to say ferndown, not northern.... whoops...

I love dunhills blasts. ill post a pic of my ashton canadian old church in a couple hours...its uber craggy

Michael did share some info with me but it was kind of obvious. he didn't reveal his secrets though. I don't do anywhere near or even in the same ballpark as his blast intensity. I have a theory but ill keep it at that. He spends a lot of time in the cabinet though! I spent about 45-1:10 mins on this pipe. it was well worth it IMHO, I think it turned out great. Joe left a lot of extra meat for me to play with though, which is a must!

Evan
Ferndown don't blast either ;)
I could have sworn ferndown has blasts, then I checked pipes2smoke.com here in Toronto. yes they do have blasts, however they are done by Michael Parks hahahah coincidence? nah

and never call me a Yank again, you limey! :wink: :lol: :twisted:
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

Chris, here is your nice British blasts

heres my ashton with a wicked, albeit uneven blast

heres one of my favourite dunhills. the rings on this were probably super craggy when it was made but has since been worn down over time. I overhauled this pipe and now smoke it daily. two examples of brits (or companies) doing awesome blasts!
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Nice!
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Yep they are very nice blasts however I tend to find that nice blasts like that are very very rare, most are mediocre at best, compare that to the current NAC market and it is bad blasts that are rare.