first blast

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

first blast

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I had Evan of Wiseman pipes blast a few for me recently. I took 3 pictures of the first pipe and the camera died. Anyway here is what it looks like after staining. Any comments or critiques are welcome. I will post the rest of the pictures tomorrow hopefully.
wdteipen

Re: first blast

Post by wdteipen »

That's really nice. I like the craggy blast. The bit looks like it could be a tad thinner. What does it measure? The stem/shank junction could be a bit tighter but, based on the photo, this pipe looks good enough to sell.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

That's a rather aggressive blast. I wonder what media he uses.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Ill measure the stem when I get home from work. Still not happy with it, but I dont want to lose the msmmoth ivory if I start an new stem. Still might. My dremel went out and I tried to cut the stem guide and slot with the headstock of my lathe. That was disasterous. Bought a new dremmel. Much better. Even is prowling the forums bruce, maybe he will chime in for the answer. I honestly dont know what he uses.
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

baweaverpipes wrote:That's a rather aggressive blast. I wonder what media he uses.
Bruce,

I use 170-325 glass bead

the blast is aggressive because that's how I like my blasted pipes to look (the ones I smoke). however, this pipe didn't have very prominent grain so I had to force it out. Michael Parks shared some tips

Joe,

I love this pipe man. the blast looks much nicer in this picture. I get what you're saying about the mammoth on the stem. its not the worst slot ive ever seen but you might not like it down the road, and probably wont get the value this pipe is worth.

Evan
Joe Hinkle Pipes

it measures .18 behind the button. a little thicker than I would have liked. I straightened the slot, but now it is much wider top to bottom. Not a perfect solution, but better than being totally crooked.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Yeah, .17 is typically the max most guys go and most settle around .15 but if your slot is a bit wider than you intended there's not much you can do. .18 isn't terrible.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

You can't say Parks shared some tips and just leave it at that! ;)
Joe Hinkle Pipes

yeah, thats the area I like to be in. .16 is typically where I end up.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Hey I'll tell you what Bruce told me a few years back, it was really helpful, and spot on:

"Blast better than that."

Hope this helps Chris
Sas
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

caskwith wrote:You can't say Parks shared some tips and just leave it at that! ;)
Youre British! blasting should be in your blood
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

wisemanpipes wrote:
caskwith wrote:You can't say Parks shared some tips and just leave it at that! ;)

Why would you think that?
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

Dunhill, ashton, northern all do nice blasts! You do some nice ones too!

What do you want to know. Maybe I can help?
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Northern Briars don't blast as far as I know, at least he wasn't last time I spoke to Ian. Don't know about Dunhill and Ashton, never really thought that much of their blasts, I think you Yankees do it way better!

I was just curious about what tips Michael Parks had given you, he always seems to manage super deep craggy blasts, I was hoping there was some magic secret like dipping it in maple syrup or something :P
baiguai

Post by baiguai »

I dig the intense look of the blast!
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

caskwith wrote:I was just curious about what tips Michael Parks had given you, he always seems to manage super deep craggy blasts, I was hoping there was some magic secret like dipping it in maple syrup or something :P
I think his blasting media is ground up hockey puck.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
Charl

Post by Charl »

wisemanpipes wrote:
caskwith wrote:
You can't say Parks shared some tips and just leave it at that! ;)

Why would you think that?
Mmm, Guy Fox comes to mind..
Although, that didn't work out well, come to think of it.
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

caskwith wrote:Northern Briars don't blast as far as I know, at least he wasn't last time I spoke to Ian. Don't know about Dunhill and Ashton, never really thought that much of their blasts, I think you Yankees do it way better!

I was just curious about what tips Michael Parks had given you, he always seems to manage super deep craggy blasts, I was hoping there was some magic secret like dipping it in maple syrup or something :P
I ment to say ferndown, not northern.... whoops...

I love dunhills blasts. ill post a pic of my ashton canadian old church in a couple hours...its uber craggy

Michael did share some info with me but it was kind of obvious. he didn't reveal his secrets though. I don't do anywhere near or even in the same ballpark as his blast intensity. I have a theory but ill keep it at that. He spends a lot of time in the cabinet though! I spent about 45-1:10 mins on this pipe. it was well worth it IMHO, I think it turned out great. Joe left a lot of extra meat for me to play with though, which is a must!

Evan
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:
caskwith wrote:I was just curious about what tips Michael Parks had given you, he always seems to manage super deep craggy blasts, I was hoping there was some magic secret like dipping it in maple syrup or something :P
I think his blasting media is ground up hockey puck.
Now I get why George calls you a whippersnapper! :lol: I cant however because I think im younger than you...
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

wisemanpipes wrote:
caskwith wrote:Northern Briars don't blast as far as I know, at least he wasn't last time I spoke to Ian. Don't know about Dunhill and Ashton, never really thought that much of their blasts, I think you Yankees do it way better!

I ment to say ferndown, not northern.... whoops...

I love dunhills blasts. ill post a pic of my ashton canadian old church in a couple hours...its uber craggy

Michael did share some info with me but it was kind of obvious. he didn't reveal his secrets though. I don't do anywhere near or even in the same ballpark as his blast intensity. I have a theory but ill keep it at that. He spends a lot of time in the cabinet though! I spent about 45-1:10 mins on this pipe. it was well worth it IMHO, I think it turned out great. Joe left a lot of extra meat for me to play with though, which is a must!

Evan
Ferndown don't blast either ;)