Achieving round stummels without a lathe

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
LatakiaLover

Re: Achieving round stummels without a lathe

Post by LatakiaLover »

andrew wrote:
LatakiaLover wrote:
More than scary, dangerous. Trying to route small blocks of hard wood is begging to lose body parts.
Yep. One basic search is all it took. :shock:

WARNING -- It's an emergency room video of a guy's finger being reassembled after he got too casual with a routing table (or maybe just not knowing what he was doing). Do NOT click if such things upset you.

Me? I like being reminded now and again how dangerous using power tools can be. Especially important for people who make their living with their hands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgNCFojZZJw
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

PremalChheda wrote:
LatakiaLover wrote:
PremalChheda wrote: It is possible. Either by etching the ring by hand or making a device to cut it precisely.
Yeah, I was thinking of old style, paired, deeply cut rings in the English tradition. If only a groove of some sort is wanted, things open up a bit, tool-wise.
I am not certain, but I think Michael Parks used to cut some pretty deep double rings with his drill press and a device he made for it before he got a lathe. I will ask him the next time I speak with him.
last time I was there, I think he was using a mod'd fly cutter but I could be wrong. I just glanced at it.

as for the laser level, its good for drawing lines but also to see your "true centre" and then take material off from there.

http://todd-m-johnson.com/gallery.html go here and check out picture 13. its a asymmetrical horn shape that has a ring cut by hand

also joe nelson submitted a panelled bulldog to the KC contest a few years ago that was most definitely "handcut"
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Yes it is possible and there are many ways to do it including just by eye with pencils and maybe a pair of compasses to lay out some lines.
Is it recommended if you want to be efficient in your time and selling? No. If you are just doing it as a hobby for fun then knock yourself out and do whatever you like.
Snorri

Post by Snorri »

Thanks again for the responses, I really appreciate it.

While I'm new to pipe making, I'm not really new woodworking and tinkering. I've made plenty of knife handles and other more or less round objects with a sanding disc, so I'm feeling better about going this route. I realize it isn't terribly efficient, but I'm not really looking to turn a profit on my creations, at least not for a long time. At that point (assuming I enjoy making pipes and get halfway good at it), I can always reevaluate my setup.
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

caskwith wrote:Yes it is possible and there are many ways to do it including just by eye with pencils and maybe a pair of compasses to lay out some lines.
Is it recommended if you want to be efficient in your time and selling? No. If you are just doing it as a hobby for fun then knock yourself out and do whatever you like.
Seeing as I've never had the luxury of a 2-jaw chuck, I've been forced to learn strictly free-hand shape first pipemaking. I can actually make my classical shapes really fast and symmetrical with just a 40 grit wheel. It's totally doable, it just takes some time to learn.

I kinda want to try making a bulldog freehand now...
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

The Smoking Yeti wrote: I kinda want to try making a bulldog freehand now...
:shock: that might be a regrettable decision :lol:
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

I thought this was pretty clever... :D

deBeaupre

Post by deBeaupre »

As for now, I do not own a metal lathe. I have a drill press, a table saw, sanding wheel, and a bunch of files. I do most of my stummel shaping with a table saw. I'm a little apprehensive about sharing the redneck-fung-shoei process but here it is for what its worth, you may find this helpful - you may not. It's a little dangerous...but it seems to get me roughly round shapes for both the bowl and the shank. I first drill the tobacco chamber and the draught hole w/mortise and use those holes with a table saw sled. I also have specialized sleds for angle cuts on the bowl. My goal is to rough shape on the table saw not dial-it-in to an almost finish - like with a metal lathe. Here's a few-thousand words saved with pictures if you think this works for you than by all means giver 'er a go. I just noticed Walt posted these while I was putting this together...LOL

I think I have smaller pictures in my post.

I cut a peice of Delrin the same diameter as the tobacco chamber and mortise it into my table saw sled.

Cheers and PM me if you think of anything that could help me improve this process.
Matt
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:I kinda want to try making a bulldog freehand now...
100% doable, and I believe you could. Doesn't mean it won't take you twice as long or longer and be endlessly frustrating. :thumbsup:
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

deBeaupre wrote:Image
That is really clever! Good idea.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
deBeaupre

Post by deBeaupre »

LatakiaLover wrote:I just thought of another way: a router table

It would be scary to use, but would work pretty well as long as you had a bit for each pipe you wanted to make.
What?! DO NOT ATTEMPT until you have designed a router-table sled that securely holds that chunk of briar in place while keeping your hands very far away from that spinning bit. Also only taking at most 1/32 of an inch in each pass. If you are not scared of a router then you have absolutely no business using one. It is by far the most dangerous tool in a wood shop freehand or in a table. I would like to see someone attempt it though. :D

Here is a picture of my first attempt cutting the shank using my table saw - Its a little harry-scarey! I was expecting the blade to throw that briar into my face when doing this!

Cheers all.

Matt
dogcatcher

Post by dogcatcher »

Pool cuemakers have been making round sticks with table saws for quite a few years. A little different set up than the one posted, but of it works for you go for it.
mcgregorpipes

Post by mcgregorpipes »

I've used a router to round the bottom of the bowl with a 1" dia round over. router should be mounted horizontal and you need the bowl fit on a shaft that will pivot the stummel into the cutter to a stop then turn 180. makes quick work of excess material. takes some setup and test runs.
deBeaupre

Post by deBeaupre »

mcgregorpipes wrote:I've used a router to round the bottom of the bowl with a 1" dia round over. router should be mounted horizontal and you need the bowl fit on a shaft that will pivot the stummel into the cutter to a stop then turn 180. makes quick work of excess material. takes some setup and test runs.
I would like too see this horizontal mortiser/ pipeshaping jig you speak of.

I'm thinking it might look something like this:

http://woodgears.ca/slot_mortiser/index.html
mcgregorpipes

Post by mcgregorpipes »

will post a photo next time its setup
picture something like this, substitute the big cutter for a router.
http://www.culture.gouv.fr/Wave/image/m ... 597x_p.jpg
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

mcgregorpipes wrote:will post a photo next time its setup
The line between handmade and machine-made pipes can get a bit fuzzy sometimes. I think this machine leans toward the "machine-made" side of that line...
deBeaupre

Post by deBeaupre »

WCannoy wrote:
The line between handmade and machine-made pipes can get a bit fuzzy sometimes. I think this machine leans toward the "machine-made" side of that line...
That topic is a big one and it goes way back in time! I'm sure early hominids were debating the effectiveness of smashing things with there fists versus using a sharp rock. It seems that artisans would rather smash with there fists. Fist smashing results in a product of higher intrinsic value.

Cheers
Matt
deBeaupre

Post by deBeaupre »

Check this guy out:

http://woodgears.ca/tools.html
mcgregorpipes

Post by mcgregorpipes »

WCannoy wrote:
mcgregorpipes wrote:will post a photo next time its setup
yup. insert clip from blurred lines here
cmueller

Post by cmueller »

Snorri, round stummels can be made on a drill press using a whole saw. You can even do it with a wood rasp, sanding wheel, dremel, etc. if you wanted. However, regardless of what method you choose, it takes practice practice and more practice. Plus, as you develop your "eye" this process will become easier.