Metal Lathe and the etch-a-sketch method

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
oldworldpiper

Metal Lathe and the etch-a-sketch method

Post by oldworldpiper »

In doing my research I came across a thread where it was discussed that stummel shaping on a metal lathe was done with a fixed rest and a wood turning tool and that few were using the hand wheels to shape. One of the first videos I ever came across was Chris using his Myford to shape out a stummel. I assume this is the "etch-a-sketch" method. It was a beautiful video and i was impressed.

Now I find out that no one really uses that method. 1. Is that true and 2. Why not?

Is it simply because it is harder to control tapers?

Still one of my fav videos on lathe work.
RadDavis

Re: Metal Lathe and the etch-a-sketch method

Post by RadDavis »

What the hell, give it a try, and see what you think.

Rad
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

Wow Rad, that was probably one of the more helpful posts you've made.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Gershom wrote:Wow Rad, that was probably one of the more helpful posts you've made.
Rad hopes every comment he makes helps.

They usually say so right on the label.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I have no idea how many use this method and how many have tried. For me it works, I have always worked this way and have no problem shaping like this, on stems I can easily taper about 1mm in 75 and I can cut the curves required for billiards etc. Would I be able to do this if I wasn't using the well adjusted and smooth myford carriage controls, I don't know.

As Rad says, give it a go.
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

I've learned to use the metal lathe from the first pipes I made and with some practice there is absolutely no difficulties with this method. You can turn very precise curves, coordinating your left and right hand is something you can learn quite easily. Sometimes, when I see the curve I want to create is just not as smooth and flowing as I'd like, I will chuck a steel blank in my toolpost and refine the curve by hand (that tends to happen a lot less often).
I think that most pipemakers who use a metal lathe are able to do it that way.
oldworldpiper

Post by oldworldpiper »

Perfect. Thanks guys . Do you usually support with the tail stock when cutting the shank?
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Not unless it's a really long or very small diameter shank.

Rad
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

keilwerth wrote:I've learned to use the metal lathe from the first pipes I made and with some practice there is absolutely no difficulties with this method. You can turn very precise curves, coordinating your left and right hand is something you can learn quite easily. Sometimes, when I see the curve I want to create is just not as smooth and flowing as I'd like, I will chuck a steel blank in my toolpost and refine the curve by hand (that tends to happen a lot less often).
I think that most pipemakers who use a metal lathe are able to do it that way.
Yep you can do a combo like this if you can't quite get the shape right, even just turning the major diameter before employing hand tools can help. Often I just use a piece of 80 grit paper while the stummel is still spinning to refine the shape, it will remove material very quickly and smooth out curves well.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

RadDavis wrote:Not unless it's a really long or very small diameter shank.

Rad

Same here.
pipeguy

Post by pipeguy »

caskwith wrote:I have no idea how many use this method and how many have tried. For me it works, I have always worked this way and have no problem shaping like this, on stems I can easily taper about 1mm in 75 and I can cut the curves required for billiards etc. Would I be able to do this if I wasn't using the well adjusted and smooth myford carriage controls, I don't know.

WOW Chris that's quite the plug for Myford Tools do they give you a new Super 7 every month for that shining testimonial? :thumbsup:
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

pipeguy wrote:
caskwith wrote:I have no idea how many use this method and how many have tried. For me it works, I have always worked this way and have no problem shaping like this, on stems I can easily taper about 1mm in 75 and I can cut the curves required for billiards etc. Would I be able to do this if I wasn't using the well adjusted and smooth myford carriage controls, I don't know.

WOW Chris that's quite the plug for Myford Tools do they give you a new Super 7 every month for that shining testimonial? :thumbsup:
That's what I am hoping ;)
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Im hoping my lathe I ordered 5 mos ago would get here, and no I will not plug them till I get it.