pipemakersforum.com

The original forum for pipe makers on the web
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:10 pm 

This will be my first pipe that I drill myself. I want to make a little chunky poker. Does the template look ok to you all? The draft hole will be a 5/32" tapered bit, 5/16" mortise, and a 3/4" bowl. My drawing is the best but it will work for me.

Attachment:
IMG_6456.JPG [72.59 KiB]
Downloaded 18 times

Last edited by MmmPeace on Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Poker outline
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:24 pm 

Two questions/comments, first why not drill the draft hole straight? Sure, it shortens the chamber depth a bit, but you'll have plenty of room on the bottom and it will be easier to do. Second, why a tapered bit for the draft hole? I think 99% of guys around here use a normal straight bit. Makes more sense. Save the tapered bit for stems. Other than that looks fine.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:46 pm 

Ocelot55 wrote:
Two questions/comments, first why not drill the draft hole straight? Sure, it shortens the chamber depth a bit, but you'll have plenty of room on the bottom and it will be easier to do. Second, why a tapered bit for the draft hole? I think 99% of guys around here use a normal straight bit. Makes more sense. Save the tapered bit for stems. Other than that looks fine.

I agree with Jesse. Single stage drill with a un-tapered bit. If it decreases the bowl depth too much for you then increase the overall height a little.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:42 pm 

I like your template except for the tapered drill. Tapered bits are only for the stem. Straight 5/32" or 9/64" for the stummel airway. Drilling the airway at a different angle than the mortise is a bit more tricky but learning that skill at some point is essential to opening up design potential. For a first pipe, drilling the airway and mortise on the same angle would be easier and increase the likelihood of success.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:29 pm 

Thanks, guys! I was definitely confused about the tapered bit, not sure what I was thinking... I ended up making the bowl depth shorter and drilling straight in (non-tapered bit :oops: ), I actually like this design much more! That is why I asked, you guys saved me before I began :D In all honesty when I was making my outline I drew the bowl first, then went about making the rest of the pipe match up, didn't even consider making the bowl depth shorter... Live and learn I suppose, again, good thing I asked first! I was able to get the rough shape done last night, and also made my very first acrylic stem (still in rough shape). I am learning as I go and definitely making mistakes, but better sooner than later! One thing that happened to me was the chuck holding my block loosened, my shank is still round but now my stem can only go on one way to fit, I can't rotate it or it looks wonky. Here is a photo of where I am at so far with this.

http://imgur.com/a/3Bxfj

Attachments:
poker_progress1.png [214.98 KiB]
Downloaded 7 times