Too thin on my airway

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
WillAndersonpipes

Too thin on my airway

Post by WillAndersonpipes »

I just drilled my airway and just barely made it from the stem to the bowl without drilling through the top of my shank. Can you make this portion too thin? And if so how thin is too thin. I have plenty of meat on the sides and bottom of the shank so it won't break or anything, but I have a portion of the bend in the shank where i cut it really close to coming out of the top of the shank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
scotties22

Re: Too thin on my airway

Post by scotties22 »

does air come out? If not, you are okay 8) Unless you are going to blast it and then it's anybody's guess.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

If it is a smooth a dark spot could appear from tar & etc migrating to the outside. (It would have to be mighty thin, though.)
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
WillAndersonpipes

Ok it's about 1/16 I think would a dark spot show through that you think?

Oakbear

Post by Oakbear »

Sounds like a good excuse to keep a shop pipe to me.
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

George made a good comment, but I think this problem is related more to the color of pipe the rather than the finish (smooth / blasted).
If you make a dark finish it shouldn't be a problem, but on a natural or light colored pipe, either smooth or blasted, tars/oils/condensation can seep through the briar pores and stain the outside of the pipe.
I've had this happen on a natural smooth pipe with a 9,7mm shank which is not very thin at all. After a dozen smokes the shank developed discolorations along the fibers all around. I've smoked the pipe for a couple months now and the dark spots have become less apparent with the overall darkening, but they're still there.
I think at one time I also posted photos of a pencil shank cutty, natural sandblast, that got pretty serious discoloration on the shank after just a couple of smokes, luckily the customer understood that it was not a flaw, just a natural thing to happen with a light colored, porous and thin material.
When possible, coating or lining the airway will prevent all these problems.
WillAndersonpipes

Alright thanks I am planing on doing a dark finish so I'm thinking it should be fine