First pipe progress

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
BriarShrink

First pipe progress

Post by BriarShrink »

Here are some pics of my work to date. A few issues: 1) I need to get my bandsaw tensioned properly. It hasn't been used in 6 years...and even then only sparingly. 2) I need to set up a shaping wheel or get more belts for my mini-belt sander. All I had was 50 grit to start with. Any input/criticism/advice is greatly appreciated. Doh! How do I make my images small enough to post? Should I use a hosting service?

Have a great morning,
Tom

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
"I have some friends, some honest friends, and honest friends are few; My pipe of briar, my open fire, A book that's not too new." ~ Robert W. Service
sandahlpipe

Re: First pipe progress

Post by sandahlpipe »

The best way to post your pictures here is to use something like photobucket and copy/paste in the link here in the image tags. There are a number of free websites where you can resize pictures as well. Just google it and you'll find what you're looking for.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
BriarShrink

Post by BriarShrink »

Great. I've got photobucket. Thx.

"I have some friends, some honest friends, and honest friends are few; My pipe of briar, my open fire, A book that's not too new." ~ Robert W. Service
BriarShrink

Post by BriarShrink »

sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Keep working on it. Focus on trying to make everything symmetrical and keeping the shank lines straight. Use a straight edge to check the shank for dips and bulges. It helps to hold the pipe up to a light so you can see the silhouette as you shape. Don't rush the shaping, but don't be afraid to take off material aggressively. If you only have 50 grit for your belt or disc sander, that's fine. Get a thin chainsaw file (something around 3mm) to define the bowl/shank junction and when you're finished shaping, move up through the grits by hand.
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
BriarShrink

Post by BriarShrink »

Thanks so much.

BriarShrink

Post by BriarShrink »

Does anyone use a dremmel to shape with? Advice?

sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I do use a Foredom (same principle as a Dremel) for some of my shaping work. Completely acceptable, but does take some practice.
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
Charl

Post by Charl »

:wink: Except for the work still needed on the pipe, I think the bandsaw also need some serious work if you look at those burns!
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

I use a Dremel sometimes as well, but I was a ninja wizard with the Dremel long before I ever used it to hack at briar. It's kind of like using a fine paint brush; it's great for little details, but very hard to make broad lines that are overall uniform and even without lumps or waviness.

For shaping on the cheap, I would recommend getting a 5" urethane foam wheel (like the kind Kurt sells) and using it in a hand drill that you clamp to the table. I did this for a while before I got a lathe. Now I use a 7" fiber backed sanding disc for rough shaping before moving to the 5" foam ones for higher grits. Get a hexagonal coupler nut from the hardware store that fits the threads of your sanding disc, and use it to chuck the disc in your drill.
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods