Sanding the Chamber

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
scotties22

Re: Sanding the Chamber

Post by scotties22 »

I totally agree. Unfortunately we have a bunch of misinformation on the net....and if it's on the internet it's true, don't ya know. :filth-n-foul: :banghead:
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

wdteipen wrote:That's kinda my point, Scottie. I'm not convinced that the majority of burnouts aren't entirely user error. I suspect that very few are actually due to flaws in the briar. Small, superficial flaws in the tobacco chamber are perfectly harmless. But, we've built this myth that ANY flaw in the tobacco chamber is sure to cause a burnout and therefor the tobacco chamber HAS to be flawless and pristine which is a pretty unrealistic expectation wouldn't you say? Now the belief is that a pipemaker who puts coating on ANY flaw is somehow ripping off the buyer. That being said, anything beyond a superficial and small flaw should not be sold to the public.
Welcome to How the World Works: Human Behavior Pt. 1 :lol:

Rationality in the intellectual sense has nothing to do with tribal behavior / groupthink. The assertions and conclusions of groups are based on biological survival (going along to get along). All that's required is for enough people to believe something is true that those who don't believe it feel threatened. ("Burn the witch! Burn the witch! What?! You don't believe in witches?! Why, that's exactly something a witch would say... Burn this one too, boys!")
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

The burnouts I've had in 3 or 400 pipes sold (2 that I know of) I'd say for sure were not briar flaw related. One piece of briar was REALLY really light, so maybe it was more prone to burning? I dunno.

The other side of this is the truth that with just a little extra heat, you'll spider-web a raw bowl with very little effort - this I know first hand! So it may not matter if it was super smooth or not anyhow.

It looks nice and no one complains about a smooth chamber, so there you go.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Sasquatch wrote:The burnouts I've had in 3 or 400 pipes sold (2 that I know of) I'd say for sure were not briar flaw related.
FWIW, I see about 10-15X more burnouts from operator error than Mother Nature error. "Won't stay lit, eh, you bastard? Well, how 'bout THIS then?" (whips out cigar torch)

One piece of briar was REALLY really light, so maybe it was more prone to burning? I dunno.
It IS possible to over cure briar to the point it becomes almost cork-like. I've seen it wit' me own eyes, and weighed it on me own scale. Then checked it for being prone to burning. It was.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

LatakiaLover wrote:
One piece of briar was REALLY really light, so maybe it was more prone to burning? I dunno.
It IS possible to over cure briar to the point it becomes almost cork-like. I've seen it wit' me own eyes, and weighed it on me own scale. Then checked it for being prone to burning. It was.

That has also been my experience, George. I especially find this to be true of some of (dare I say it) Mimmo's briar that I have used. It's very light but it's also very soft.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

The piece in question for me was very light, very soft, and very Italian. I suspect user error though - I think the guy smoked the pipe empty, it performed beautifully, and he tried to relight the bottom of the bowl and get 'er burning, with disastrous consequences.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I've only had one pipe returned to me due to "burnout". It is a pencil shanked lovat with thinner than my usual walls. The buyer removed my bowl coating. A dark spot appeared on the heel of the pipe. It was user error in this case. The buyer returned the pipe and I made him a replacement despite my policy on burnouts. I now own and smoke this pipe multiple times almost every day with occassional day or two breaks. It's my favorite and most often smoked pipe. It smokes like a champ and burns completely to ash oftentimes before you realize it's done. I suspect the buyer was trying to light ash when the dark spot appeared. The dark spot hasn't changed in the three years I've owned it.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I guess I have been lucky, no burnouts (that I know of). Had a few chomped stems, one broken shank ( they won't admit to it but I know they sat on it) and a few shank extensions fall off (before I really knew how to do them properly).