flush stem fit

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
BlueBriar

flush stem fit

Post by BlueBriar »

Hey guys, so I have successfully made a flush stem fit a plenty of times now. But now I'm in a interesting predicatment. through my brain not being all there, I have slightly changed the shank face on a nearly done piece. Suggestions on how I can rectify this?
JMG

Re: flush stem fit

Post by JMG »

You will have to adjust the shank face to fit as you can't on the stem due to the tenon. Try putting a higher grit sandpaper (320, 500?) down on a very flat surface and drag/twist, whichever works for you in the direction you need it to go. Other than that you could use pin gauges and a lathe. Insert a snug fitting pin gauge into the mortise, chuck that in your lathe and very carefully reface the shank face.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

What tools do you have at your disposal, is the stem delrin or turned tenon?
andrew

Post by andrew »

caskwith wrote:What tools do you have at your disposal, is the stem delrin or turned tenon?
This is a very important question to answer. Just an fyi.
Joe T

Post by Joe T »

I use a very fine (metal cutting) flat-bastard file. Insert the stem, see where it touches and carefully file the face of the shank putting more pressure on the high spot. I just keep repeating that until it's flush... it's tedious, but it works.
Joe Thieman
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

A fine-bastard file, that's a contradiction in terms lol.
BlueBriar

Post by BlueBriar »

Sorry I haven't responded guys, ya'll were kind enough to answer my call of help, but I had forgotten to set my account to notify me. Thanks for the input. I have started doing the twist method and it has worked really well so long as one has the patience. I do have a wood lathe but no pin gauge. I believe not having a metal lathe limits me to only delrin as well. Im unfamiliar with a bastard file, Ill look into that.
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

Lots of people (self included) turn tenons on a wood lathe, so don't let that put you off. If you want integral tenons they are totally doable, just a bit of a learning curve.
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods

Post by pipedreamer »

lots of us turn tenons on a wood lathe.Look in archives!You will find all that you need.