What in the H*LL is a "Grand Poobah" anyway?

If you have any comments for how this site or forum might be improved, or if you are having any difficulties with this site, please post such comments here.
whitebar

Post by whitebar »

So far I have found it is the name of a band. Check out this link:

http://www.grand-poobah.com/

A search at dictionary.com turned up nothing. I'll let you know if I find anything else.
Stephen

Carving Pipes in the Oldest Town in Texas.
whitebar

Post by whitebar »

One good way to figure out the meaning of a word is to study how it is used by others. The following excerpts from a variety of different articles seems to indicate that the term Grand Poobah[/color] refers to some kind of leader. Check these out and see if you agree.

…I always call it a grand poobah--a chief at your company…

…According to James Bailey, whose moniker is General Manager/Grand Poobah of the Los Angeles ComedySportz squad: "Our approach to improv is the same, but there's a difference in presentation."…

…Among the CEOs whose unconventional styles have attracted media attention are Southwest Airlines' Herb Kelleher and the founders of Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream, Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield. Ben & Jerry's has a permanent committee, called the Joy Gang, that plans fun activities, The Waterbury, VT, company also has a full-time fun coordinator, Sean Greenwood, whose title is grand poobah of the Joy Gang…

…"I feel like I have to eat a little crow," said Utah Sen. Robert Bennett, a Republican who once voted for the veto but now was feeling its sting. "I did not vote for this horror," gloated longtime veto foe Sen. Robert Byrd, a West Virginia Democrat and the grand poobah of pork-barrel practitioners. "And I wonder how some members who did ... are feeling after their legislative initiatives have felt the line-item veto meat cleaver."…

TIEMANN: We're involved both generally and specifically. Two years ago, leaders of four or five open-source security projects approached Linus Torvalds, the grand poobah of Linux source code, and asked him to choose implementations to become standard for the Linux operating system. He said none of the options was adequate. It was impossible for him to implement one system using another one's results…

…Take a look at the map, and the math. Only 23 percent of the delegates selected by primaries and caucuses have been allocated so far. Kerry has 473 of them. Edwards 166. If you add in the Super Delegates, the grand poobahs of the party, Kerry's total climbs to 621…
Stephen

bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Let the kid answer... (I'm 24)

Grand-poobah was the name of the "lodge leader" in The Flintsones. :D

Don't ask me how I know that, random facts like that just pop into my head sometimes.
hiway

Post by hiway »

Grand-poobah was the name of the "lodge leader" in The Flintsones.
As I recall it was the Water Buffalo Lodge. I trust Random, that you have a large furry hat with horns somewhere in your workshop. :D

Dave
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

LOL! :lol: :lol:

I go out of town for the weekend only to return to THIS debate! You guys are goofy.

I made up the names based on the number of posts. By default, everyone was newbie, no matter how many posts were made. I decided that wasn't exciting enough and just started typing in a series of words as they came to me. I had no idea how exciting the term grand poobah would be.

Tyler
Last edited by Tyler on Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whitebar

Post by whitebar »

Tyler wrote:LOL! :lol: :lol:

I go out of town for the weekend only to return to THIS debate! You guys are goofy.
When the chief is away, the tribe will play!! :)
Stephen

jchamb

Post by jchamb »

As I recall it was the Water Buffalo Lodge. I trust Random, that you have a large furry hat with horns somewhere in your workshop.
Well he used to have one, but he removed the horns and used them as stem inlays....