Search Bots

If you have any comments for how this site or forum might be improved, or if you are having any difficulties with this site, please post such comments here.
whitebar

Search Bots

Post by whitebar »

I just noticed the new user info block has a category for Search Bots under Currently Online. Anyone able to explain what a Search Bot is?
Stephen

Carving Pipes in the Oldest Town in Texas.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Search engines such as Google have software (ro-"bots") that "browse" the web, catalogue-ing key words and various aspects of sites. That is compiled and constantly updated in Google's databases. That is how Google actually does its searching.

I have, with admin feautres, always been able to see bots on the site. It is not uncommon for Google bots to hit once a day in a pack of about 6 bots. I have also had a lot of MSN bots, as well as some I am unfamiliar with. Showing the bot visits in the new box was an interesting feature not available in the other "User Info" blocks I have tried. I thought I'd leave the bot feature it in place for the sake of interest. It is actually quite amazing how often bots are on the site.

Tyler
whitebar

Post by whitebar »

Wow,

Bots could be reading my words and looking at my pipes. 8O 8O 8O
It's an interesting age in which we live. I'll be watching for them so they don't get me! :D :D :D
Stephen

whitebar

Post by whitebar »

I just spotted a Search Bot snooping around the site.

Search Bots: 1 
#1 Inktomi (American Flag)
» Gallery

Beware!!! :( :( :(
Stephen

jeff

Post by jeff »

Interesting stuff. Google is snooping as I type.

Jeff
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Bots are good, they index a site and enter keywords into a database at teh search engine, allowing folks looking for specific informatino to get to it more quickly. I'd wager that most of us found this site through a forum or newsgroup that Tyler posted to, but other, especially now, may be finding it via searches on how to make pipes or how to buy pipes.

It's also good from a marketing standpoint. Tyler's site is well searched and well linked, and that helps his business endeavors. It can also help folks that have traded links with him turn up in searches as well.

Really, it's all good. Northing to worry about.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com