mail messages

If you have any comments for how this site or forum might be improved, or if you are having any difficulties with this site, please post such comments here.
BDP

mail messages

Post by BDP »

Hey Kurt,

When I get a mail message saying that there is a new post on a thread, the URL link comes without the WWW in front of pipemakersforum. When I click the link, PAGE NOT FOUND comes up. I manually put the www in front, and then it works. Would it be a PITB to edit the www into the URL link in the mail message?

Brad
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

hmmm... wierd. I had that problem a while ago... Kurt seemed to have fixed it (or so I thought). Perhaps at this point it's a DNS thing that's out of his control... Kurt?

my $0.02 is that with most DNS problems if you wait them out your DNS server (something at your internet provider) will update it's tables. Not sure if that is it tho. I was told by a friend that worked at an ISP once that the more you attempted to hit pipemakersforum.com without the "www" the more likely your DNS server was to update itself. Again, that's IF that's the issue. I'm just guessing at it because, for me, Kurt seemed to have fixed the issue on his side.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Hmmm. I thought I fixed this a while back to put the "www" in front of the URL. I'll take another look.

As for DNS, I have no A record for "pipemakersforum.com". Now, I *could* add it in, but I'm a crusty old Unix admin, and adding an A record for a domain offends my delicate sensibilities. :)

I'll have a look-see at the email config.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

FYI: I'm getting emails still with no "www" but it is linking me to a link with the www. Is the email notification an HTML email with a link or am I being re-routed on your side? I don't see any html in the email (when I switch to plain text). But that may be because it sends out mail as MIME... So perhaps Brad's email program is not picking up on the link but just the address as it is mailed...?
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

Ben,

I believe you are right. different email clients or OSs may handle the link by adding the missing www all by themselves. Me on a Mac using Apple’s mail.app I get the link without the www (in normal view and in plain text – though the mails are not html formatted as I get them).
Clicking the link opens Firefox as my default browser and voila, the www is added.
Also the DNS thing is a good guess. If I copy the link without the www and paste it into the adress line of the browser, it works fine as well.

So, Kurt, maybe it's about time to get rid of a bit of that crustiness… :angel:
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Let's see how much stuff I break. I changed a setting, and I *think* it will add the "www" on the front. Let me know what falls down. :)
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

You guys get Emails when new stuff is posted?

I've been just checking the forum to see if any new stuff has been added. :cry:

Am I missing out on something here?

Rad
BDP

Post by BDP »

Hey Rad,

There is a list of boxes below the area where you type your message.
The last one will notify you when a reply is posted if it is checked.

Rad, where is your website? I heard really good stuff about your recent work that was at Columbus, and I wanted to check it out. No web address in your profile?

Brad
Last edited by BDP on Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
BDP

Post by BDP »

Kurt,

Nothing broken at my end- in fact, it is now working great! Thanks for your efforts.

Best,
Brad
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Excellent! I'll get this website whipped into shape sometime soon here. Next is some sort of chat feature.

BTW: Rad's pipes are here:
http://www.raddavispipes.com/

I saw some new shapes that he brought NASPC, and I was very impressed. There was one in particular that I wanted, but I was in Columbus to earn money, not spend it. :)
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Thanks, guys.

Brad, I have added my website to my profile.

I don't know why I had not done that.

Rad