hello

Tell us who you are.
ClayMulhollem

hello

Post by ClayMulhollem »

Thank you for adding me as a member. I have successfully peoduced a few pipes but nothing of any note. In fact, i have more failed attempts laying about than i do successes. I have met with a local maker once and will be meeting with him again to get feedback. I also look forward to hearing from you all and, gleaning as much as i can from the discussions. Most of what ive done so far is with cherry as opposed to briar. I wanted to gain some experience before ruining a nice block of wood. I got into pipe making mostlu as an energy outlet. I like to move the creative and artistic aspect is an added bonus.

Clay
I live in Buffalo New York i am from southwestern pennsylvania
35 years old
I only smoke occasionally generally when fishing. But, have been doing since i was 20.

i will attach a photo of my latest stummel there are some glaring issues but a couple are directly related to a cracked shank and my unwillingness to throw out a piece of briar.
Last edited by ClayMulhollem on Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ClayMulhollem

Re: hello

Post by ClayMulhollem »

There we are. Had to find a way to resuze the image.
Attachments
170902_120337_0.jpeg
(170.45 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Welcome, Clay
When you are ready, post some work in the Gallery.
The folks here tend to be of the "make a standard shape" school. Took me a while to appreciate that outlook, but I am now a believer.
Lots of excellent information on this forum, and lots of folks here will give you a hand.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
ClayMulhollem

Post by ClayMulhollem »

Thank you for the welcome! I will be doing a lot of lurking and researching. I do agree traditional shapes are often the best, they have been crafted out of years and necessity (that goes for most things). But, I do like to have a little fun with it sometimes.
RickB

Post by RickB »

ClayMulhollem wrote:Thank you for the welcome! I will be doing a lot of lurking and researching. I do agree traditional shapes are often the best, they have been crafted out of years and necessity (that goes for most things). But, I do like to have a little fun with it sometimes.
Welcome - you've come to the right place!
My solution - which I 100% got the idea of from Doc - is that I've been doing a classic billiard with each group of pipes I've been doing. In my case that means I've been doing them in pairs - one billiard, and one fun one. I cannot overstate how much the billiards have been helping me.
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/