Instructions. - READ BEFORE POSTING

Tell us who you are.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Instructions. - READ BEFORE POSTING

Post by Tyler »

Welcome to Pipe Makers' Forum. We'd like to get to know you a little bit.

Please create a new thread with your username as the subject. It's easiest if everyone follows a similar format. Please copy and paste the info below, and fill it in.

Years a pipe smoker:
How you got into pipe making:
Other interesting facts:
BrianKeogh

BrianKeogh

Post by BrianKeogh »

Years a pipe smoker: 35 years, off and on
How you got into pipe making: I have yet to make a pipe.
Other interesting facts: I do some green woodworking. Mainly it's turning wooden bowls on a spring-pole lathe and spoon carving.
Couve

Re: Instructions. - READ BEFORE POSTING

Post by Couve »

Career: Retired from a lifetime of enterprises in the hardwood woodworking field, including stair parts manufacturing and hardwood floor refinishing.
Hobby: Wood lathe projects.
Pipe smoking history: not since I was about 25.
Interest in pipe making: All of my friends and family have about all the bowls they want, so I was looking for something challenging to make that was small scale. Always liked pipes more than smoking them, so fell into seeing pipes as art, and have read much of the Forum and watched lots of the utube videos. All very instructive. Just recently tooled up for pipemaking and have made 4 pipes now all based on a Savinelli billiard I am trying to copy. Fascinated by the precision required and all the issues involved in making a functional object that also has a pleasing shape. With pipe number 4, I finally made the whole pipe including ebonite stem with delrin.
I am challenged by making the stem, and it is slow work. I will post a pipe when I finally make one that is worth showing for critique.
DkGanz

New Member Here

Post by DkGanz »

Years a pipe smoker: 1
How you got into pipe making: My fiancé bought my a pipe making kit as a gift and I find great joy in the entire process. I never smoked a pipe until I made one
Other interesting facts: I am a millwright by trade, so fabrication is a pretty routine activity for me. Except I mostly work with metal, never wood. Pipe making employs a lot of the same skills, but an entirely different material than I am used to, which I enjoy immensely
Jonty-Piper

New Member Jonty-Piper

Post by Jonty-Piper »

Years a pipe smoker: 4

How you got into pipe making: I got a couple of hobby blocks a while back, finished them but then left it for quite some time. It was something I was interested in and kept looking online at the various aspects of it. During the lockdown of 2020 I was watching a lathe on eBay and put a winning bid in thoroughly expecting not to win. So in total have made 10 pipes and even sold 2. At the moment If I can recoup costs to allow me to buy more material I am happy with that. I was told about this forum by a fellow Facebook member as I am keen on learning my still very rough skills.

Other interesting facts: I am interested in lots of things, photography, theology, reading.
Gentleman_H

New Member - Himchan Ha

Post by Gentleman_H »

Years a pipe smoker: 8 years
How you got into pipe making: I like panel pipes very much, but I don't have any pipes on the market. So I bought a kit and started making it.
In the process, I found that making pipes was very happy and reminded me of something inside.

Hello, I am a Korean novice pipe maker.
I am a young man who dreams of becoming a pipe artisan in a place where pipe tobacco is barren.

compared to Europe and the United States. It's been 8 years since I smoked a pipe.

I've carved about 5 briar kits and 1 morta kit.
I'm making a small DIY Dust Box in my room and making it with some files, Dremel, Sanding paper, etc. But it was hard to finish the pipe.

Like many pipe makers, I need a lot of information about finishing.
I want to Study hard with you all, and I hope that I will be able to share a lot of information someday

I ask for your understanding in advance because my English is poor.
so communication may not be smooth.
(In fact, When I come to the forum, Google Translator becomes my best friend.)

Other interesting facts: Car, Watch, Fishing, Game
Hi, I'm a Novice Pipe Maker in Korea. and I Carving the Kits for my Practice.
Very Happy to Meet you All
zhumes95

zhumes95

Post by zhumes95 »

Years a pipe smoker: I started smoking a pipe in 2015, and then stopped for several years. I recently picked it back up in 2020.
How you got into pipe making: I was a finished carpenter for a year, and was gifted many tools for a home-hobby-shop. I rarely used my shop, because no project appealed to me in any way. When I picked pipe smoking back up in 2020, I decided to return to my woodshop in my basement and give it my best shot. To date, I've made 4 pipes for myself and for my friends. (I now realize how many mistakes I've made on each of the 4 pipes! I really appreciate the useful information!)
Other interesting facts: I created my first few pipes without any type of research at all. Everything that I searched for online led to dead-ends and confusing articles. I recently discovered a pipe maker on Youtube, and reached out to him on Instagram, requesting information. He told me about pipe makers forum, and said that he learned everything right here. His pipes are ASTOUNDING, so I signed up as fast as I could. I really look forward to improving my pipe making, and equipping my friends with well-made pipes.
Tellumnothing

Post by Tellumnothing »

Hi all,
I'm new here to this forum. My name is Dan and I'm retired and just turned 79 in March. Born and raised in Montana with a 13 year hitch in Alaska as a "bush" principle. My spouse and I now live in Missoula, Montana and in my younger years I was an avid Hunter, fisherman, dog trainer (labradors) and bowler. My parents ran a bowling alley. Started smoking one of my dad's old pipes about eight years ago and found an interest in vintage pipes on line. I got to know Davorin Djenovic,a Croatian pipe maker, because we have a similar heritage. Covid made me a Montana history reader and I found some interesting facts about our Native Americans and how they loved their ceremonial pipes and tobacco. I decided to make myself a Redstone pipe using the old historical material (Catlinite) found in Minnesota. Any information you might have on making this type of pipe I would be interested in learning. Thank you,l'll keep you posted on my progress.
Tellumnothing
Kiltsnelvis

Post by Kiltsnelvis »

Years a pipe smoker: occasional for 20 years
How you got into pipe making: looking to get started!
Sebastian Heck

Post by Sebastian Heck »

Years a pipe smoker: 20
How you got into pipe making: I inherited my dad's small pipe collection. Started out refurbishing classic pipes. This got me more and more interested in the process of pipe making. Started out with a small selection of tools, made about two dozen pipes. The last couple years I have been upgrading my workshop. Looking forward to improving the craft and learning from all of you!
Other interesting facts: I am also a pastor and a hunter.
joegenovese33

Post by joegenovese33 »

Years a pipe smoker: 50+
How you got into pipe making: I love woodworking and always wondered how a pipe was made
Other interesting facts: My brand is Pípe di Pépe (Pipes by Little Joe). I'm a collector as well as a carver. As I get older, carving is less request and I'd love to help a new carver get started. Some of my equipment is gathering dust!
SLCarrico

SLCarrico

Post by SLCarrico »

Good morning brothers,

My Real name is Solomon Carrico

Years a pipe smoker: 19yrs

How you got into pipe making: As I traveled up the mountain of pipe smoking, I wanted a higher quality pipe, yet I'm financially challenged. But, I am resourceful, creative, and have been a woodworker all my life, so I decided to learn how to make a high quality pipe for myself. Even though my first prototype pipe was pathetic, I got the bug. It's like being on an exploration, and you just need to keep going over the next mountain top, or around the next canyon corner.

Other interesting facts: I'm a father of 4 great children, husband of one beautiful wife. Tenkara fisher, Guitar and Banjo player. Christian. Latin Mass.
TrueCourse

TrueCourse

Post by TrueCourse »

Years a pipe smoker: 40 years
How you got into pipe making: About 5 years ago I bought a kit on a whim and then one thing led to another.
Other interesting facts: I am a cabinet maker by trade. A business owner. A pilot and flight instructor. I own a flight school called True Course Flight School. I'm kind of on the glide path to retirement and looking forward to making pipes pretty much full time under the name True Course Tobacco Pipes.