Adirondack Pipes

Tell us who you are.
Adirondack Pipes

Adirondack Pipes

Post by Adirondack Pipes »

My real name is Michael Rizzo. I'm now working under the name Adirondack Pipes. I'm located in the foothills of the Adirondacks outside of Colton, NY. A podunk little dot on the map called Pierrepont. And I've been a pipe smoker since 2011. Prior to that I was a cigar and cigarette smoker. I happened upon pipes when PA raised the sales tax on tobacco. Pipes were neat and seemed cheaper than cigars. Oh the joys of being so clueless. Since then I've learned that the only thing more expensive than buying pipes and tobacco is making your own pipes while trying to buy all the new pipes you see your peers offering. But in the end, it's only money. And he who dies with the most pipes wins. Right?

My desire to create my own pipes started back in 2014. I spent time working with Tony Warner. I came home and got in gear setting up my own shop. Not long after, I had to tear down. My divorce finally went through. My equipment was all "stolen" in between trips to and from the old house. Isn't that funny, funny like a wet fart. Even the brand new Turncrafter lathe was taken. Which was still in the shipping crate. Fast forward these many years and I've moved twice. Finally getting a permanent place to set up shop. I'm in gear and it feels good to be working.

So yeah, that's a little about me.
mightysmurf8201

Re: Adirondack Pipes

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

Welcome Michael!
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Welcome Michael.
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

Welcome Michael!
I grew up in Webster, and my family has a cottage on the river just north of Hammond.
Seems like that is close by you.
It's been a long time since I've been in that neck of the woods, but it's deep inside me.
Jeremy.

Sent from my bloopty-bloop, using hooty-hoo.
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
Quietfly

Post by Quietfly »

welcome!
Adirondack Pipes

Post by Adirondack Pipes »

seamonster wrote:Welcome Michael!
I grew up in Webster, and my family has a cottage on the river just north of Hammond.
Seems like that is close by you.
It's been a long time since I've been in that neck of the woods, but it's deep inside me.
Jeremy.

Sent from my bloopty-bloop, using hooty-hoo.
Hammond isn't too far. About an hour away. We pass through there when we go to Alex Bay in the summer. Really a nice area to spend time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
tmswell

Post by tmswell »

Welcome!