Tampers...

We all make stuff other than pipes, so here's a place where "anything goes" as far as showing off some of your projects and other hobbies.
JMG

Tampers...

Post by JMG »

I was helping a Hewa friend build his house when I noticed a tree he had fell with some nice markings. So, I cut a section off and slabbed it. Unfortunately, it had a fair amount of bug holes already, but I was able to salvage a couple tampers out of it.

I'm not finished with these yet. We get back to the States on the 14th and I will epoxy something different/contrasting for the tamp end and give it all a good buff.

"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
BobR

Re: Tampers...

Post by BobR »

Have any idea what kind of wood that is? Really cool and congrats on the find! That's a nice functional design too. I can't wait to see the finished product.
Bob
JMG

Post by JMG »

BobR wrote:Have any idea what kind of wood that is? Really cool and congrats on the find! That's a nice functional design too. I can't wait to see the finished product.
Don't have a clue what kind of wood it is unfortunately. I live with a tribal group in PNG that is mostly monolingual so all I know is there word for it.

Albert.A

Post by Albert.A »

Looks like black and white ebony to me. It grows in south east Asia. Species is "Diospyros embryopteris" if anyones interested. :)

Also, when buying exotic tropical hardwoods. Please try to buy from sources that respect responsible forestry, like FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) certified retailers. The rainforests of the world are being destroyed at an alarming rate, partially because of illegal logging (and some species have been logged to the brink of extinction, ebony and lignum vitae for example!
Perfection is key, but damn near impossible to achieve!

https://www.facebook.com/albertsmokingpipes
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

That's spalted, result of a fungal infection.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

caskwith wrote:That's spalted, result of a fungal infection.
Hmmm, fungal infection. Must be one of Sas's toenails. :lol:
JMG

Post by JMG »

Albert.A wrote:Looks like black and white ebony to me. It grows in south east Asia. Species is "Diospyros embryopteris" if anyones interested. :)

Also, when buying exotic tropical hardwoods. Please try to buy from sources that respect responsible forestry, like FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) certified retailers. The rainforests of the world are being destroyed at an alarming rate, partially because of illegal logging (and some species have been logged to the brink of extinction, ebony and lignum vitae for example!

Didn't buy this wood. My Hewa friend cut it down in order to build his house. I will pass along your information to him though. I'm sure he will be very interested.

JMG

Post by JMG »

oklahoma red wrote:
caskwith wrote:That's spalted, result of a fungal infection.
Hmmm, fungal infection. Must be one of Sas's toenails. :lol:
I did get it from the rain forest. Don't big foot...big foots...uh, big feet? Anyway, don't they live in forest?

Albert.A

Post by Albert.A »

JMG wrote:
Albert.A wrote:Looks like black and white ebony to me. It grows in south east Asia. Species is "Diospyros embryopteris" if anyones interested. :)

Didn't buy this wood. My Hewa friend cut it down in order to build his house. I will pass along your information to him though. I'm sure he will be very interested.
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear, I know you didn't buy it, and people should be able to build their houses out of the materials available to them, we swedes build our houses out of pine trees all the time for example. :)

I was more refering to other people on this forum that might think something like: "Hey, thats a cool looking wood, I might want to get a piece of that". I know I would like a piece, and I hope people think about their sources.

Oh, and when I read my own words, I think I sound like a douche, and for that I'm sorry, I really don't mean to. :(

/Albert

JMG

Post by JMG »

Albert.A wrote:
JMG wrote:

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear, I know you didn't buy it, and people should be able to build their houses out of the materials available to them, we swedes build our houses out of pine trees all the time for example. :)

I was more refering to other people on this forum that might think something like: "Hey, thats a cool looking wood, I might want to get a piece of that". I know I would like a piece, and I hope people think about their sources.

Oh, and when I read my own words, I think I sound like a douche, and for that I'm sorry, I really don't mean to. :(

/Albert
No worries at all. A little verbal sparring is good. Inflection is lost altogether on the typed word. So, I don't take hardly anything on the webs seriously. I just like making funny comments about my buddies still living in bush houses. They wouldn't have a clue what you were talking about. Living out there affords me a plethora of jackassery as it relates to the outside world. :D

Albert.A

Post by Albert.A »

Good good, expressing oneself in writing can be difficult at times, I just don't want to be missunderstood ;)

FC3

Post by FC3 »

Nice find! Now if only I could find a couple of Sas's toenails lol!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I have some clippings for sale if you like...
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!