advise on a finish of sorts.

We all make stuff other than pipes, so here's a place where "anything goes" as far as showing off some of your projects and other hobbies.
bloodysafety

advise on a finish of sorts.

Post by bloodysafety »

I make goblets from beer-bottles. Its not hard and folks love em. Only thing is; Most beer bottle labels are glued on not painted on or made into the bottle so yore restricted in design choice. So my question to the community is: can anyone think of some kind of coating that is "food grade" that will permanently bond to glass and paper that also wont look tacky or thick and stand up to use and washing? It cant have any kind of taste or smell when cured and hopefully be resistant to finger-print-smudging and whatnot. my camera is down for the count atm but im getting a new one come tax time. Ill do my best to try out any suggestions and Ill even send it to you if you want it.

Thanks in Advance,
Bloodysafety
BobR

Re: advise on a finish of sorts.

Post by BobR »

I'm no expert but it sounds like un-obtainium to me given your list of specifications. Food grade may be the ultimate show stopper.

Is there another solution to the problem such as laser etching?
Bob
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Etching glass can be done with the same tools we use to sandblast pipes. You just need a resist stencil and you're good to go. More complex designs can be done with a chemical etch - which is less expensive and easier to do since the stencil can be made from silkscreen material that's UV exposed using transparencies.

Or, use the silkscreen stencils to apply epoxy-based paint - which is sometimes classified as food safe. Which paint you use boils down to research, but you might want to take a look at Cerakote and DuraCoat. Both are heat cured finishes that are regularly used on firearms for a resilient and long lasting finish.

--K
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
socrates

Post by socrates »

Chemical etching is easy and you can make stencils yourself. However there is no colors just a frost look.

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk