Crazy idea? Briar watch

We all make stuff other than pipes, so here's a place where "anything goes" as far as showing off some of your projects and other hobbies.
SchmidtN

Crazy idea? Briar watch

Post by SchmidtN »

So, I've recently bought me a wooden watch, since I'm a fan of wood and have a thing for watches.
http://we-wood.us/collections/collectio ... iter-brown

I super+ like it, but it's got me wondering. I've got an ever growing box of briar scraps via the bandsaw; why not put that briar to use? I found this kit and soldering isn't a problem, I've got a small army of robots under my belt.
http://www.makershed.com/Solder_Time_Wa ... lick=64206

So, I could ditch the plastic case and make a briar one no problem. Big question, how much of a pain do you guys think making the links for the wrist band will be? I'd also have to find a clasp... maybe off a thrift store watch or something.

The wood would all be free, the kit's like $30 +shipping, then whatever the clasp costs me. I think I could get away with a new watch for under $50, which is great.

You guys think this is doable or just asking for a headache?
Hello, I'm #1312.
That's a really big number.
Vermont Freehand

Re: Crazy idea? Briar watch

Post by Vermont Freehand »

I was speaking with another pipe maker about briar watches. I would most definitely work, but I would think there would need to be something done to stabilize the wood or harden it somehow. I say do it!!
birba

Post by birba »

dogcatcher

Post by dogcatcher »

When I was in the military we had watches that had nylon straps. I am sure they are still available, so if it was me, I would find one and then figure out the logistics. I think it could be done, cut the pieces of wood, about 1"x1/2"x3/8". You will have to set up a jig and drill 2 holes in the 3/8" side, then like making a stem connect the 2 holes for the strap to fit through. The down side of this is that the strap and the buckle will show as nylon and a cheap metal buckle.

The watch itself, look for a Online store call Klock Kit or something like that, they sell clock and I believe watch kits and may even have a wood watch kit. I know they used to have a large wall "watch" looking clock kit that is like what you are wanting to make.

GOOD LUCK.
Jthompson1995

Post by Jthompson1995 »

Vermont Freehand wrote:. . . I would think there would need to be something done to stabilize the wood or harden it somehow. I say do it!!
I may be able to help you if you want to stabilize the briar. I have a small vacuum stabilizing setup that gives great results. I've used it for punky, spalted pen blanks and it makes them just as solid as good sound wood. It also makes the wood much more impervious to water and almost eliminates shrink/swell issues.
Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!
-Walter Blodget
dogcatcher

Post by dogcatcher »

Or make a pocket watch from the Klock Kit I mentioned above.
http://www.klockit.com/products/sku-EEEEP.html

I would go this way, cheap, fast and pretty good looking.
SchmidtN

Post by SchmidtN »

That klockit page is pretty neat, wish they made mechanical wrist watch kits. That's what I'm really looking for.

Yeah, a leather band might be a backup plan if I can't figure out the wooden links. The watch I bought came with some sticky links that's don't really move the way I'd like. I'm a little afraid it might be harder than it looks making those links.

I hadn't given any thoughts to stabilizing the wood. I'm not real sure briar would need it, isn't that one of the reasons we use it to make pipes? It's pretty stable already.
Hello, I'm #1312.
That's a really big number.
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

I was thinking that any kind of wood would be brittle when made thin or small pieces, just an added security I guess. This would pertain to making wooden links with holes drilled in them for the pins to hold them together, seeing how there would be 20 or so small pieces woven together with some sort of link or pin, but thats just if the band is made from many small pieces of wood.
Growley

Post by Growley »

I love the idea, and yes, I think it would be a pain to make the bands. Think of the precision that's needed. Plus, as in your very cool watch example, the band lengths taper meaning you can't just make 10 of the same exact length. You in a sense, make two of each size, one for each side.

I would probably lay each strap side out, mark the appropriate taper and then cut each length out from that. But, that eliminates the idea of using scraps.

I can't believe they're only charging $139 for that watch. I'm certain it takes a ton more time than making a pipe.

I wouldn't do this as a business personally, but I would definitely try to make one for myself.
JonBood

Post by JonBood »

That is a neat idea!
Although I must say it bugs me when they claim the watch is 100% wood :wink:

One alternative could be to look for an old mechanical watch at ebay, demount it and use the parts for your own.
It will surely take some time but it might be worth it.. however if you do, be gentle with it afterwards so you don't break it :D
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

I think a pocket watch would be nice but, as far as the inner works we're talking a whole different animal.
A wristwatch looks neat but, has anyone thought about sweat? In my younger days when I worked for a living
I remember sweating a lot at the wrist ruining high and low grade watches by the dozens. Not only from the moisture
but, from the acid in my skin. Use to eat metal up like a chain saw (any metal) and leather bands didn't have a chance.
Naturally not everyone's skin chemistry is like mine but, I thought it might be something to think about.
rdpipes.briar.club
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Blasphemy! This entire thread is blasphemy!
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard