slabs

We all make stuff other than pipes, so here's a place where "anything goes" as far as showing off some of your projects and other hobbies.
Vermont Freehand

slabs

Post by Vermont Freehand »

I've always dreamt about owning an alaskan sawmill, and finally had an excuse to get one. A logger buddy dropped off a full truck load of 2'-4' wide trees for free. There is pine, oak, ash, and maple. The pine is up to 4' wide, and 12' long. The maple trees were tapped for sugar and have some really interesting streaking and holes in them. Eventually I will get the gnarly maple sawed up that has tons of burls on it, but here's some shots for now, I'll post more as the project progresses. Note - the trailer in the first shot is a 6x10, gives you an idea of the size of the slab, and that was the first slab off the tree, only got wider from there on. And no, thats not me in the picture, thats my girlfriend :lol:

Joe Hinkle Pipes

Re: slabs

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

That is pretty awesome. Do you plan on using the planks for a project, or just milling them and selling it as deminsional? I wanted to make the nice legs joke so badly. Thanks for saving me from the embarrassment.
Alden

Post by Alden »

Dude ! Thats badass. That one slab looks like Ambrosia, does it have tiny little holes all over the streaks ?
Now come over to www.woodbarter.com and trade some of that for wood from all around the country. Bunch of guys with small mills trading just about anything you can cut.
Vermont Freehand

Joe - I have some big dining room tables and some kitchen counter tops to make, but I have to get everything milled so it can be brought to the kiln. There is a lot of 6' pine that is perfect for outdoor benches, I'll post some photos of those soon.

Ryan - thanks for the link, I'm gonna check it out for sure. The streaks have one tap hole in each streak. The streak is a result of drawing the sap out to make maple syrup. Not worth a lot, but cool wood nonetheless
OregonCustom

slabs

Post by OregonCustom »

Nice score! Sticker and tarp!

I've got 9/4 planks of Myrtlewood drying in my shop for the last two years. Won't dig it out for use for another 2-3 years. I'm always scrounging for material. Those closest to me affectionately call me a "wood whore."

I met a gal last year who sells knife scales and she was swinging a saw that big around like it had a 16" bar. Gotta respect a woman like that!

Once again, NICE score!
Not sure I want my hobby to turn into my job largely because I grow to hate my job....
Alden

Post by Alden »

Vermont Freehand wrote: Ryan - thanks for the link, I'm gonna check it out for sure. The streaks have one tap hole in each streak. The streak is a result of drawing the sap out to make maple syrup. Not worth a lot, but cool wood nonetheless
I was looking at the 4th and 5th pics. I dont know anything about tapped suger maples, but the streaks looked like ambrosia. Thats caused by tiny little bugs that burrow in the maple http://woodbarter.com/showthread.php?ti ... t=ambrosia
Either way, cool stuff man !
SchmidtN

Post by SchmidtN »

I thought ambrosia was a type of salad? Salad is a funny word, it can either mean a bunch of lettuce or blended with mayonnaise/whipped cream.
Hello, I'm #1312.
That's a really big number.
Alden

Post by Alden »

SchmidtN wrote:I thought ambrosia was a type of salad?
Words are funny that way... Tell a nonsmoker that your new bulldog has got a funny taste to it.... :D
Charl

Post by Charl »

I was thinking tabletop, the moment I saw that 1st pic. Let us know how it goes.
Vermont Freehand

I haven't brought the nice slabs to the kiln yet, but I did make some benches and picnic tables. Also got into some ash;

Alden

Post by Alden »

Thats f-ing sweet dude. Nice work !
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Awsome! Now I want one of those saws! Oh, and some property like you've got there. Sweet digs!
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard