Pipe-vivarium-junk-cabinet

We all make stuff other than pipes, so here's a place where "anything goes" as far as showing off some of your projects and other hobbies.
Massis

Pipe-vivarium-junk-cabinet

Post by Massis »

I figured this fits here.

Currently I use a cabinet that my parents handed down to me, which has been in use for about 30 years and has seen much better days. So I decided it's time to build a new, decent and - more importantly - bigger cabinet myself.

This cabinet is 150cm wide (4.9ft), 230cm high (7.55ft) and 46cm deep (1.5ft), has room for my gecko vivarium on one side, and room for around 25 pipes on the other.
The lower half is for storing all kinds of junk (of which I have lots!). I'm also adding 3 drawers inside the cabinet in which I can store most of my tobacco and tampers/lighters.

I'm building it out of MDF 18mm thick and a multiplex backboard. Total weight of the finished cabinet will be somewhere around 170 kg's :-D

The cabinet is currently a work in progress, but here's some sketchup renderings of the finished product:

All doors closed:

Doors removed:

Current status:
Alden

Re: Pipe-vivarium-junk-cabinet

Post by Alden »

Sweet ! MDF+Vivarium=Frustration.
If its a leopard gecko, you need to worry about waterbowls spilling. If its a day gecko you probably need to line the entire enclosure with fiberglass resin.
Good luck, looks neat.
Massis

Post by Massis »

Alden wrote:Sweet ! MDF+Vivarium=Frustration.
If its a leopard gecko, you need to worry about waterbowls spilling. If its a day gecko you probably need to line the entire enclosure with fiberglass resin.
Good luck, looks neat.
The vivarium is for wall gecko's and has been up and running for nearly 3 years now :-) It's built out of waterproof mutiplex (the kind they use to pour concrete, 7-ply or what do they call it?)

So no problems with MDF there! I've even made an aquarium out of the same kind of wood, which has been running for over 2 years now.
Alden

Post by Alden »

Cool. I've kept reptiles for a long time. Used to import them as well. Down to about 30 animals these days.