speaking of ammo, and pens

We all make stuff other than pipes, so here's a place where "anything goes" as far as showing off some of your projects and other hobbies.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

speaking of ammo, and pens

Post by KurtHuhn »

This is not loaded ammunition:

Because...

My youngest has already claimed it. Dammit.

I've seen similar pens around the Internet, but all of them are
polished to a high luster and are perfectly spotless. That doesn't
ring with me, so I left this one dirty and full of patina. It seems
more fitting, and harkens back to the former life of the components.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Blueb3

Re: speaking of ammo, and pens

Post by Blueb3 »

pretty cool, rally love the patina, and how it looks "used". Just be mindful of over-zealous school employees and their "zero-tolerance" crap /rant
SchmidtN

Post by SchmidtN »

Meant to look like an armor piercing .50 cal? At least you went big... looks nice.
Hello, I'm #1312.
That's a really big number.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Beautiful! I too like the "real" look yours has. It looks like a piece of surplus ammo, and I thought it was at first! I didn't think the hole in the end was large enough for a ink tip to fit through. Those .50's are deceptively large.

I've made some of those myself (something similar anyway), but like you say, most people want them all shiny and pretty. I actually made one for a woman and she had me use pink camo acrylic for the "bullet" portion.You know, because pink camo and .50cal's go together so well...

I'll be trying some of the new "Bolt-Action" pens here shortly, as soon as they arrive.
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKCP8000.html

I really like the idea behind them, but the "bolt" should have locked down, rather than up. And it doesn't need a rifle shaped clip on the darn thing either. A plain design would be better in my eyes. I plan to try and retrofit mine.

I met a guy who used real .30-06 brass and made pens out of them himself, just using tubes and a transmission. They were quite nice, but I wish had got a better look at it, or at least taken a picture so I could remember how it was made!