Some of my earlier tampers

We all make stuff other than pipes, so here's a place where "anything goes" as far as showing off some of your projects and other hobbies.
Kenny

Some of my earlier tampers

Post by Kenny »

I made these back a few months ago. They were my first attempts and I have since improved a good bit on design. The stand I made as these were sold at a local tobacconist and I needed to provide my own display.

The first pic is a walnut tamp with spun aluminum base (my first time spinning, I now use stainless) and an acrylic cap on top.

The woods used on the tamps in the picture with them all on the stand, from the left: first two-Bubinga, second two-Jatoba (Brazilian Cherry), Cherry, Tiger Maple, Goncalo-Alves and Wenge and Wlanut.

Third pic is Tiger Maple.

and lastly we have Red-Heart

SchmidtN

Re: Some of my earlier tampers

Post by SchmidtN »

You should make a chess set, you have turning skills.
Hello, I'm #1312.
That's a really big number.
Kenny

Re: Some of my earlier tampers

Post by Kenny »

SchmidtN wrote:You should make a chess set, you have turning skills.
Funny you say that, as I actually started one some time ago! I never did finish it, as my abilities weren't up to par at the time, and I still need some more practice before I feel I'm ready.

I have all the materials, and most of the "templates" are turned. The pieces will be African Blackwood and stabilized Tiger Maple (to equalize the weight a bit), and the board will be veneered in natural and black dyed Tiger Maple, as I figure this should add some depth to an otherwise plain piece.

Thank you very much for the kind words though, I do appreciate it. But I'm really not that good. I'm not bad, but I have a long way to go to master this craft!

Kenny