Ammo Based Tampers!

We all make stuff other than pipes, so here's a place where "anything goes" as far as showing off some of your projects and other hobbies.
smokindawg

Ammo Based Tampers!

Post by smokindawg »

I was sent a few shell casings a while back by Txcigarcop. He wants me to make tampers from them and here is what I've come up with so far. The blue one with white swirls is something I've been toying with for a while, in my head anyway. It's got a stainless steel internal pick. It is drilled and installed just like the stem on the pipes I make. I drilled a 1/4" mortise and used delrin for the tenon. I cut off stainless steel Tig rods for the pick. Turned out pretty well.

Then of course are the others, all just regular tampers. I did however cut the casings off, as I think they look better short on tampers.

They look much better than the pictures portray. I've also polished the brass up on the ones in the picture of three and they look much better.

Let me know what you all think.......... I may even be open to make and sell a few of these in the future if anyone is interested.

Pipe Maker in the Making!
taharris

Re: Ammo Based Tampers!

Post by taharris »

Those are really cool. I've been toying with the idea of installing a brass screw in the end and then turning it down to make a brass end, but this idea is better.

I may just have to "borrow" this design. :twisted:

Todd
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Very nice! I've got a particular affection for the bamboo tamper.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Thanks for the positive comments....... If you want, take the idea and run! :lol:
Alden

Post by Alden »

Pretty cool stuff Steve !
Nate

Post by Nate »

Edward wrote:Pretty cool stuff Steve !
Agreed!
SchmidtN

Post by SchmidtN »

What could you make out of these?

Hello, I'm #1312.
That's a really big number.
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

With those? Well a lot bigger tamper of course. But then, the pipe would have to be lots bigger too. :)
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Wow, I see we share similar ideas! I made a couple tamps on the same principle a few moths back (before I belonged to the forum). I like yours a lot, especially the blue acrylic piece, it's very nice!

What did you do with the primers? Did you just leave them in place?
I left them on the first few I made. Then I found some solid brass rod that was the same size as a small pistol primer and made my own solid brass "primers" and pressed them into place (I reload, so I have all the necessary equipment).
SchmidtN

Post by SchmidtN »

@Kenny you ever hand load .25-35 WIN? The round between the 7.62x51mm and 5.56mm (right in front of the linked 20mm) is a .25-35 WIN out of an 1894 lever action I got (literally over 100 years old). Hard round to find and a pain to reload with the pinched neck. Wondering if you have advice since I'm 99% sure I'm doing it the hard way. Got a couple books about hand loading but don't have any secret tips and tricks.
Hello, I'm #1312.
That's a really big number.
Matt

Post by Matt »

ive used rifle casings as stems before, they work well