First knife of 2012

We all make stuff other than pipes, so here's a place where "anything goes" as far as showing off some of your projects and other hobbies.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

First knife of 2012

Post by KurtHuhn »

Finished up the sheath on this today, and it's shipping out first thing Monday:

The handle is deer leg bone, with a bolster made of pewter and copper. The blade is differentially heat treated 1095.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Ocelot55

Re: First knife of 2012

Post by Ocelot55 »

Looks sharp Kurt! (pun intended)

I am curious, what is your method for keeping the blade from cutting the stitching as it is drawn? I typically glue another peice of leather in there to get between the blade and the stitches.
Alden

Post by Alden »

That bone handle is downright primeval. What in heck did you kill to get it ?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Ocelot55 wrote:Looks sharp Kurt! (pun intended)

I am curious, what is your method for keeping the blade from cutting the stitching as it is drawn? I typically glue another peice of leather in there to get between the blade and the stitches.
Thanks! I generally do the same. I use a gusset of leather sandwiched between the two sides to protect the stitches. You can see it in this photo on top of the sheath and under the knife:
Edward wrote:That bone handle is downright primeval. What in heck did you kill to get it ?
It started out as plain white leg bone from a smallish deer, but I dyed it with leather dye (all purpose stuff! :) ) before assembling everything. I actually bought a whole box of assorted deer leg bone several years ago. The price was too good pass up! It would definitely make a better story if it was from a deer I harvested though...
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Alden

Post by Alden »

I figured deer, but it looks too flat. Did you do some scraping and shaping to it ?
Let me know if you'd like some more. We have a boneyard that 4 different ranches use, lots of pigs, deer and Auodad sheep. May need some cleaning.....
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

I'm diggin' that bolster, Kurt. 8)
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

I don't know how I missed this post.

I have really been into neo-tribal knives lately, especially those that use materials that nobody ever thought of using before, like the deer leg bone.

Very cool.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Edward wrote:I figured deer, but it looks too flat. Did you do some scraping and shaping to it ?
Let me know if you'd like some more. We have a boneyard that 4 different ranches use, lots of pigs, deer and Auodad sheep. May need some cleaning.....
Yeah, maybe! I can always use leg bone - they're the more dense of all the bones. I didn't actually do anything to this bone. No shaping, no grinding, nothing. All I did was dye it. I don't like to mess with the shape when I use natural materials like this. :thumbsup:
Alan L wrote:I'm diggin' that bolster, Kurt. 8)
Casting pewter is fun. And scary. And satisfying. I can just imagine how casting bronze would feel!
pierredekat wrote:I don't know how I missed this post.

I have really been into neo-tribal knives lately, especially those that use materials that nobody ever thought of using before, like the deer leg bone.

Very cool.
Thanks! Bone and horn/antler is probably my favorite handle material outside of Garolite. I just love it! I highly suggest using some in a project.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
GonzoPipeMan

Post by GonzoPipeMan »

absolutly beautiful. So, of I wanted one like this it would cost me....... :whisper:
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Deer legs? Dude seriously... I didn't know people even payed for that shit. My dog chewed through probably five deer carcasses this winter alone. We kill TONS of deer in this neck of the woods(Montana).
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Very cool.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com