More Tampers...

We all make stuff other than pipes, so here's a place where "anything goes" as far as showing off some of your projects and other hobbies.
JMG

More Tampers...

Post by JMG »

The white ones are made from some local wild bore tusk. One more "organic" looking and the other with sharper lines. The tall one on the right is local ebony. The one on the left is wild buai (pretty sure it's Black Palm.) And the two in the middle are a wood I've never heard of before coming here...local name is "kwila." It's mostly reddish in color and is distinguishable by small yellow, almost pollen-like, specs in the wood. It's a REALLY strong wood.

Last edited by JMG on Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Ocelot55

Re: More Tampers...

Post by Ocelot55 »

Cool Stuff!
NathanA
Site Supporter

Post by NathanA »

Awesome! How does a guy go about purchasing one of those?
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
JMG

Post by JMG »

NathanA wrote:Awesome! How does a guy go about purchasing one of those?
Man, I'd be glad to send you one normally. However, I'm living in Papua New Guinea now and shipping cost here are outrageous.

taharris

Post by taharris »

Very nice work.

I love the two curved ones in the middle.

Todd
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

Those are nice.. I make them every once in a while to either match a pipe or just to pass the time...You have some wonderful choices of wood and it seems like you found a great passtime.. I'd make them until I left and carry my good with me...

the cone straight ones I really like... and for the bore tusk did you fill it with something on the inside.. I've got 4 bore tusks I've been playing with every once in a while trying to figure out what to use a fill as mine are hollow.. some poor bore in west texas presented the to my parents as a gift before sunday dinner.

james
JMG

Post by JMG »

jogilli wrote:and for the bore tusk did you fill it with something on the inside.. I've got 4 bore tusks I've been playing with every once in a while trying to figure out what to use a fill as mine are hollow.. some poor bore in west texas presented the to my parents as a gift before sunday dinner.

james
These tusk were only hollow about half the way through. I just just it off until that point and then sanded through the enamel and shaped them. These still aren't done as I'd love to add some sort of different material for the tamping end, but the only epoxy I've been able to find is just terrible. I think my spit would have a better hold.

Growley

Post by Growley »

Very cool JM. I particularly like the second tallest one.