Making Knives in Mexico

We all make stuff other than pipes, so here's a place where "anything goes" as far as showing off some of your projects and other hobbies.
Archer

Re: Making Knives in Mexico

Post by Archer »

Those are absolutely beautiful!! Im feeling a new collection coming on!
pierredekat

Re: Making Knives in Mexico

Post by pierredekat »

Thanks, guys. :D
Frank wrote:Nice! Looking really good Robert. :thumbsup:

Just out of curiosity, what are you using to shape and grind your blades?
Hey, Frank, sorry I didn't get back sooner. I need to start subscribing to my own threads so I can do a better job of following up with them. :roll:

I true up the lines and do as many other things as possible with a bench grinder because it's far more efficient, money-wise, than a sander/belt-grinder.

And for a sander/belt-grinder, I am using an old-school Craftsman 4x36. It's one made back in the 70s, I am guessing, with a 2/3 horsepower motor, all-metal construction, heavy cast-iron base, good quality bearings, and the works.

I started off using this thing on my first knives, when I was living up in Houston, but my plan had been to build a 2x72 grinder/sander when I got down here to Mexico and had more time.

But when I got here and started comparing the economics of 4x36 belts vs 2x72 belts, it just didn't make that much sense to move to 2x72.

I can get good quality AO 4x36 belts with a heavy cloth backing, made by Fandeli, from a local carpenter supply place for about $2 US apiece. But I have to order 2x72 belts over the internet, and after shipping and whatnot, they come out to around $5 US apiece if I buy in bulk.

But then there's the waiting factor, or as I call it, the "oh-crap-I-forgot-to-order-new-belts" factor. Shipping from the US, via regular mail, can take anywhere from a 4-8 weeks, depending on how long things get hung-up at the border going through customs.

That's a long time to be sitting around waiting, should I fail to plan ahead.

I could ship through FedEx and get it here faster, but the last time I checked, it was like $50 US to ship a 2-pound package from the US to Mexico. I mean, it's just inordinately expensive to ship via FedEx.

Whereas, the local carpenter supply place has 4x36 belts in-stock, and if they run out, they can usually get fresh stock in about a week.

Besides, doing these larger knives, I have really come to appreciate the large platen on the 4x36.