Sculpted Characters

We all make stuff other than pipes, so here's a place where "anything goes" as far as showing off some of your projects and other hobbies.
Growley

Sculpted Characters

Post by Growley »

Hey guys, I've been on here quite a bit and figured it's time I uploaded some of what I used to make so you all could take a look. I seem to make a variety of things out of...well, a variety of things.

I got into sculpting for a while and really loved the process. I find that the more materials I work with, the more I learn about other materials and how they'll react to different things like sanding, bending, melting, polishing and so on. These figures are sculpted with colored clay. Every color is blended and shaped to get exactly what you see in the picture. I started with a small block of colored clay and basically by pressing, shaping and cutting ended up with the shapes or characters as you see them. Once achieved, you bake the clay to remove the moisture which hardens them. It could take me 10 hours or more just to do the face of one of these guys. I no longer work with clay because the finished product is to fragile for it's own good. But it was fun while I did.

I hope you enjoy.

PS. For reference, they're between 6" and 8" tall.

The "Flower Lady".

"Waving Man"...My first clay figure.

"Nature Lady" ...For my wife who loves nature and fantasy woodsy creatures.

"Homeless Man" sleeping in the park

"Bird Lady" Homeless lady feeding the birds.

"Stockbroker gone bust" This is the last one I did. I was supposed to be warming his hands over a fire barrel but I never got around to making the barrel. He was the best I had done and my favorite and during his baking process he fell over and broke his fingers, and feet. Super glue to the rescue, but I was so frustrated with clay at that point I stopped making it and moved on to pipes.

Thanks for looking.

Brian
Alden

Re: Sculpted Characters

Post by Alden »

Thats good work. Lots of character and expression. I like the waving man and the stock broker.
pzhan

Post by pzhan »

great work... :wink:
Growley

Post by Growley »

pzhan wrote:great work... :wink:
Thanks. I appreciate the compliment.
hawky454

Post by hawky454 »

Oh man, I think you could have done a little stop-go animation with these characters. Tell me you did? Very nice work Brian. Talk about paying attention to detail! Wow!
Go hang a salami I'm a lasagna hog.