DIY Humidor

We all make stuff other than pipes, so here's a place where "anything goes" as far as showing off some of your projects and other hobbies.
ND Pipes

DIY Humidor

Post by ND Pipes »

I got few cans of tobacco the other day and they were a bit dry so i got the idea to make a DIY humidor in order to make my tobacco a bit more wet - also to keep it from drying out... The box is from a shop with medical supplies - it is a 10gr plastic box. I have drilled few holes 3,5mm in dia on the rim of the box.. The box content is a newspaper paper that is sliced to small pieces and pressed inside the box... After closing the box, i have put it into the water to make the paper wet ... After a while, the box was removed from the water and placed into the tobacco box...
This principle is perfectly working for preventing the wood in pianos to dry to much... Making the humidity in the wood of the piano more constant... :) So, it should work here too :) heheheheh....

"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
Jos

Re: DIY Humidor

Post by Jos »

Hi Daniel,

nice idea, but I'm a bit unfamiliar about the paper - once it gets moldy, Your tobacco is done for. I'd think about replacing it by something anorganic, mineral wool or stuff ...

Regards, Jens
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

Jos - you might be right - a friend of mine suggested that green thing that people are using that work with flowers... the thing where you put flowers in - it is sucking the water very good and can be used also for this and to keep the flowers wet... (i am not sure how you call it or if i am clear enough about what i am talking about)... however i would be happy to keep that "thing" in a piece of cloth inside that small box just to prevent it from loosing it's shape and piece into the tobaco :) ....
orrr - we can use small pieces of ceramic... also a nice idea... :) i like this box how it looks - when you take it is dry (even if the insides are still wet) :) ... it is clean and dry but still wet... :) i like it... heheheh

potholer

Post by potholer »

tNd

it is called oasis, atleast here in the uk and probably in europe as well.

regards
dave
"Omne ignotum pro magnifico" - everything becomes common place by explanation :- sherlock holmes
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

potholer wrote:tNd

it is called oasis, atleast here in the uk and probably in europe as well.

regards
dave
i believe this is the name :) :)