Pipe socks...

We all make stuff other than pipes, so here's a place where "anything goes" as far as showing off some of your projects and other hobbies.
JMG

Pipe socks...

Post by JMG »

Thomas, you and your bow ties, inspired me to give the sewing machine a go. So, a few sessions with my mom, a couple broken needles and some poorly made pipe socks I had. Oh, and a couple aprons for my wife, :lol:

"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Walle

Re: Pipe socks...

Post by Walle »

Cool, George!

Glencheck, Royal Stuart - very Scottish!

Cheerio!
Walle

P.S.: What weird tartan is the apron made with?
Pipes That Make You Smile
www.blue-lobster-pipes.com
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

Tartan pipe socks? That (being of Scottish decent) is waaaaay cool. Walle, sounds like you know your tartans. The apron is the clan McPansie. They were a short lived clan as the population of females were chased off.

Brandon
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

bandkbrooks wrote:The apron is the clan McPansie. They were a short lived clan as the population of females were chased off.
:ROFL: I just sprayed coffee through my nose! Very funny, Brandon.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
JMG

Post by JMG »

bandkbrooks wrote:Tartan pipe socks? That (being of Scottish decent) is waaaaay cool. Walle, sounds like you know your tartans. The apron is the clan McPansie. They were a short lived clan as the population of females were chased off.

Brandon
Ha!

Walle, I've actually looked into doing some tartan pipe socks as my family too comes from Scottish decent (George "or Georgeson" often fought with and wore the Gunn tartan) but tartan fabric is SUPER expensive. I'm not sure most folks would be willing to pay the money for what they would cost. Found some for $85 USD for only a square yard, :shock:
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

It's very expensive. I finally got my tartan kilt. I'm part Gunn as well and Donald on the other side of the family.

Kurt, they had the same problem in Ireland with Two families eventually dispearing. They were all descendants of Patrick Fitzhenry and Henry Fitzpatrick.
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com
Thomas Tkach

Post by Thomas Tkach »

Those are nice, I really like the plaids! (I like plaid in general, though.) Once you get the hang of it, sewing is pretty fun and very useful. I made myself an apron for when I'm messing with estate pipes and stains and alcohol and whatnot. The material was practically free--one leg of a pair for trousers with a 48 waist! Just for fun, my wife and I put them on at the same time. :lol:
On land, at sea, at home, abroad,
I smoke my pipe and worship God.

http://tatmakesthings.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/tkachta1?feature=mhee
NeroWolfe

Post by NeroWolfe »

A number of years ago (8 or 9), a fellow had some pipe socks on e-bay that he had his wife make from an old Harris tweed jacket. I was lucky enough to pick one up that had the Harris tweed label sewn on it as well.....It is the heaviest and thickest pipe sock I have, and it is big enough for a Magnum! Would be interesting to scour the thrift shops for old Harris tweed jackets to make pipe socks from!?! Problem is, the darn jackets never wear out, so the chnaces of finding one at Goodwill are probably nil!! I have two Harris tweed jackets that I purchased in the early '80s in the U.K., and no matter what I do, they do not wear out !!