Stabby things!

We all make stuff other than pipes, so here's a place where "anything goes" as far as showing off some of your projects and other hobbies.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Stabby things!

Post by KurtHuhn »

Recently I had a desire to make myself a kiridashi - a Japanese "utility" knife, similar to a modern pocket knife and used in much the same way. It is also a great knife for carving, due to the way the bevels are ground, and is used a lot as a marking knife in woodworking (the reason I wanted one). In typical fashion, I decided to make a handful of them all at the same time. I kept one for myself, and here's the other two.

They're typically done without handles, but I wanted a handle on mine and figured I'd wrap the other two as well. It's a faux japanese lace, done with flattened parachute cord instead of the normal ribbon. I've also paired them with simple leather sheaths fitting of the style of knife.

What do you think?
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
mredmond
Site Supporter

Stabby things!

Post by mredmond »

I like those a lot, Kurt. A knife making pal of mine made me something similar, but with a shorter, thicker blade and it's great. I've used it for all sorts of things, from marking wood to cutting plug tobacco.

Micah
Philthy

Re: Stabby things!

Post by Philthy »

Nice work Kurt.

I believe I only made a couple of dashis. Most of them from cutoffs and my designs tended to go way off traditional quickly. Nice work on the handle wrap as well. Do you use any glue or anything on the wrap or just leave it plain?
Dixie_piper

Re: Stabby things!

Post by Dixie_piper »

Very nice Kurt! Looks like those could be very useful :)
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)