Wooden cylinder boxes • How To

We all make stuff other than pipes, so here's a place where "anything goes" as far as showing off some of your projects and other hobbies.
eder
Site Supporter

Wooden cylinder boxes • How To

Post by eder »

So, here we go with our lesson in how to make inexpensive wooden cylinder boxes with Mr. Hyde. :lol:
Actually I really tried to find some box maker that could make some custom boxes for an affordable price and in small quantity. I ended up getting nothing.

After several attempts to make paper boxes, square wooden boxes, etc... total disaster!...
Once upon a time…
Playing vuvuzela with placemats the idea popped up!
Here are the boxes I’m currently making to pack my pipes.

Advantages
1. Costs less than 5 bucks
2. You don’t waste more than 30 minutes
3. You can easily make them according to the size you want
4. It’s handmade by you; nothing can ever replace that

What you need
1. Stuffs: scissor, white glue, hammer (for any case), paper cuter (for any case), anything else you think could be useful
2. 1 cheap bamboo placemat (depending of its size and the dimensions of your box, you can make two boxes out from a single placemat). If you can get a placemat already covered with gauze; better! If you can’t, make it on your own. The gauze or other thin fabric is important to avoid having the bamboo sticks falling off.
3. 2 curtain rings (find the diameter you would like)
4. Fancy paper or leather, or another stuff (I’m using leather because my cat destroyed a huge and fancy leather jacket of my girl)
5. 8 very small pins (or spikes). I'm using 7mm long pins
6. Rope, or leather rope, or bamboo rope

How To
Following is what I do, but you can find your own way and do it easier and better :D

Preparing top and bottom
1. My curtain rings are made from… god knows what; but it’s wood for sure. They got 7cm of diameter.
2. Then cut a piece of leather (fancy paper, etc.) having Ø8.5cm . They must be a bit wider than the ring diameter.
3. Stick then using the white clue.

Preparing the placemat
1. Use the scissor. Or if you want something more complicated, use a bread knife, or a table saw… whatever. If you got a very cheap bamboo placemat you don’t need anything else than an old scissor. For those 7cm curtain rings, my little placemat is 24cmx21cm big.
2. The advantage of having a placemat already covered by gauze on one of the faces is that you can cut if freely. Each little bamboo stick will stays on its place and they will not fall off. If you can’t get such kind of placemat. You can buy some gauze and stick it to the placemat.

Time to assemble
1. Find regular intervals to put the little pins and attach the placemat to the bases. You will find your way. This is the hardest part! :thplt:
2. Don’t forget to let a little part opened to be able to put the pipe inside of the box! :doh:

Covering the trash
1. Using the rope, make a borders covering the pins. If you want to make nice boxes, you need to hide those ugly pins! :idea:

Closing the box
1. Find you own way of closing the box with a hope or something else. I use a piece of briar with Mr. Hyde engraved and I pass two strings through the box.

Three years ago I also was professor, but as you guys can see, I quitted that because I was losing the patience while explaining the things. Anyway, here is the main idea! It’s not the best idea ever on box making but it better than Japanese Karaoke!
:rockon:

I hope you enjoy
eder
Nate

Re: Wooden cylinder boxes • How To

Post by Nate »

Those are sweet Eder!! All in the details, and you have got that covered. Great idea!
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

Agree. Those are sweet... the vuvuzela just drove me nuts during the WM, so I would have never made the jump from annoying sound to pipe box...:-)

james
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

eder - like them a lot :) nice boxes....
can i steal the idea :P :P :P hehehehehehe......
"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
SWM

Post by SWM »

Hi Eder,

those boxes look good - a very nice way to present a new pipe to a customer! Congrats!

Best,

Steffen
„If you can dream it, you can do it." (Walt Disney)
PipesByDesign

Post by PipesByDesign »

That is pure genius.
pereu

Post by pereu »

Hi Eder,
this is very affectionate and dressed up! Also the instructions are great!

Peter